Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so - if you have a horn to sell - and it doesn't have to go straight away - how do you reckon the best time to put it in the marketplace?

- september for "student" horns at the beginning of the academic year?

- pre-Christmas for horns likely to attract cash-rich impulse buyers looking for a present?

or has all this been effectively negated by discounting -

all the yamahe52s horns appear for sale in september,
all the "SBAs in fine condition" in December?

is there any point in selling in august?

and how does ebay compare with the marketplace here in this respect?

(declaration of interest - I have a vintage baritone and am wondering when to offer it for sale - but comments may be of general interest)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,422 Posts
tj, your avatar make you the perfect person to make that remark!! :D

·
Registered
552 Posts
km said:
so - if you have a horn to sell - and it doesn't have to go straight away - how do you reckon the best time to put it in the marketplace?

- pre-Christmas for horns likely to attract cash-rich impulse buyers looking for a present?

(declaration of interest - I have a vintage baritone and am wondering when to offer it for sale - but comments may be of general interest)

Before the school year ... student and pro horns .. christmas is good too

·
Registered
278 Posts
well people see that school is about to start in september so thats why everyone trys to sell the 52's because they are a good horn for the money

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
861 Posts

This old thread touches on some of my thoughts about timing the market for sax sales.

Is tax refund season (1-1-XX - 4-15-XX in the US) a good time? We always see adds - mostly from car dealers - about spending your tax refund on a new car...

I would think that September would be too late for the back to school/ college sales, they're already in school! August would be better for this market,
also right after Thanksgiving (late November in US) for Christmas.

Has anyone noticed a good time of year to market a used saxophone?

·
13,271 Posts
I cant speak about horns but in mouthpieces...you guys are giving your stuff away selling it in the summer.

April is terrible. People who got tax returns spent it in Feb and March.

April is reserved for people who owe taxes. They are irritated and dont buy much. Sometimes May isnt much better.

August is a crap shoot...sometimes really good...sometimes horrific.

September is pretty decent.
October is good
November is good
December...people are thinking about ipads.
January pretty ok
Feb is good
March good.

if you are selling internationally keep in mind that large parts of Europe vacation in August. Dont bother.

that is my experience anyway.

The other piece of advice I have....like the stock market: Never believe you have it figured out :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
There are always shoppers, and deals can always be found. I've found that I've gotten some great prices on my sales:
-Tax Time USA
-From the week before Thanksgiving (USA) through New Years Day.
I've had success moving saxophones under $1,200 from the middle of August through September.
When it is NOT these times, it tends to be a good time for finding decent prices on very nice newer and vintage horns.
May and JUNE often have the "Clean out this darn basement/garage/attic" gluts of vintage horns (Most needing work) appearing everywhere. Plenty of "My student quit band" horns, too.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Why not list a horn now at a set price and then give updates on it during one of the more prominent buying times?

·
13,271 Posts
You have to remember that humans are just not that linear. List a house on the market at the wrong time for too much and you may end up making less than if you had picked a good time for a more reasonable cost. Eyes get tired of seeing the same thing. Lots of emotional issues and assumptions take place if it does not sell. Expectations of lower prices then occur.

It doesn't make sense because we frequently don't make sense.

In essence something is worth what someone will pay today. Timing is a critical element you can't ignore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts