1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
131 Posts
That's like asking what is the best flavor of ice cream. Like John K said...………."There is no best. It's a subjective thing."

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
There's also the other side....

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
487 Posts
Based on his location, the OP's first language may not be English. I think he means to ask what everyone's favorites are. My favorites include two of the ones he listed, Coltrane and Seamus Blake, along with Joe Henderson and Rich Perry.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,071 Posts
I’ve always liked the sound Zoot Simms was able to produce.
Along with Gene Ammons, Johnny Griffin, Archie Shepp, Sonny Rollins, Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Charlie Rouse etc etc etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
really ,you should not forget Stan Getz and Coleman Hawkins , a great sweet tenor sound ....but this area is too much subjective as taste .....

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,781 Posts
If I have to chose from the four examples given in post #1 I would take Scott Hamilton.

Outside that (limited) group I would take Arnett Cobb, Illinois Jacquet, Ike Quebec and Jimmy Forrest (and Paul Gonsalves, Johnny Griffin, Willis Jackson, Ben Webster, Sam Butera and ...)!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,524 Posts
Stanley Turrentine
Gene Ammons

·
Registered
685 Posts
The saxophone is a very personal sound, like a human voice. It is like saying who is the best singer etc. Totally subjective . I agree with many of the above posts, it all comes down to personal taste . I could make a list a yard long of players I would love to sound like and never will. A drummer friend I play with always says Apples and Oranges .

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
As much as I love Joe Henderson and Rich Perry’s sounds, I really enjoy Breckers sound when he played a Link and Rick Margitza.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,524 Posts
As much as I love Joe Henderson and Rich Perry’s sounds, I really enjoy Breckers sound when he played a Link and Rick Margitza.
I recall you commenting on Joe Lovano's sound as well.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,919 Posts
I like pretty much everybody, but a young guy who really sounds good to me is Tivon Pennicott.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts