Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for someone in the LA area who can completely go over an old Lyon Healy C-Melody Sax. It may need to be completely torn down and rebuilt.

It plays somewhat right now, but there are issues in the lower D, E and F.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Check out Bertrand's Music and Horn Improvement in Mission Viejo. (949) 455-4163 and ask for Mike Cleveland! You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Unless something has changed, DO NOT go to Horn Improvement. They destroyed a 39 Balanced Action tenor I had in 2010 with a buffer. Talk to Rusty Higgins at Long Beach Woodwinds and you won’t go wrong.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,029 Posts
Les Arbuckle in Carlsbad CA. Excellent work, fair prices and a very good player. He’s worked on half a dizen horns for me and never disappointed!

·
Registered
827 Posts
The guys at Long Beach Woodwinds know their stuff, that'd be my first stop. I hear good things about Les Arbuckle too.

You probably know, but keep in mind that an overhaul (or even a repad) on a c melody will likely cost more than the horn is worth after the work is done.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input, good and bad. Yea, I know I'm never going to recoup my investment, but I just want a fully restored C-Melody to play for myself.
I think I'm going to get my Conn Chu Berry C-Melody done instead of the Lyon Healy and I have a Chu Berry Alto I'd also like to get done. From what I know
he actually played a Tenor, but everyone seems to call all of the New Wonder II's Chu Berry's.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
One more vote for Les. The Mark VI tenor I bought from him (which he had overhauled prior to putting up for sale) plays great, he's very friendly and cool to deal and his prices are very reasonable. He's currently overhauling my most recent prized acquisition.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Anyone have any updates? I need to record a mouthpiece... it disintegrated

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,029 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts