Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion what is the best alto mouthpiece I can find for alto under $100? I was thinking meyer, morgan or a v16. If you have any to sell me pm me.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Morgans are great, but they aren't sub-$100 (except for the "Vintage" model, which is a whole other animal.)

I'd look at a Hite, or even a Rousseau Studio (the SJ7 is nice). The V16s are supposed to be great, but I've never tried one.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Also consider Vandoren's (V16 for Meyer style, Jumbo Java for Dukoff alternative), nice design and excellent finish quality, especially for the cost.

Edit, just noticed that J. Max already mentioned the V16, I'll just add that I have one now and really like it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Seriously.

Go to the music store and try some of those Rico Royal mouthpieces.
They sell for around $12 to $25 depending on where you shop.

I know you might think they can't be any good but just give a few a try.

Test out an A5, B5 and C5 to compare the tone.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
My vote definitely goes with the Morgans and Runyons.
Buying a good condition used piece will open up even more options too, don't forget.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Under $100, Selmer, Meyer. Under $50, Morgan Protone. Under $20, BARI Esprit. The Esprit seems like a Meyer with a Selmer C* facing. Great school mouthpiece. All of this is hard to answer as it depends on the type of music and what horn it is on. I can use a Selmer Super Session on any of the 20+ Altos I have now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
I bought a V16 T8 (teaked to perfection by EZ:D ) for 100$ on SotW.

It's a great mouthpiece IMHO, but they weren't joking when they said it has a vintage sound. It is very vintagey--which is nice but also a little weird. I've tried it in a very loud club situation and found that, like my real vintage HRs, it didn't quite have the cut I needed (compared to my Morgan 8L, which seems to be up for just about anything! However, it sounds really nice under decent musical conditions. Also, the beak is relatively large (i.e. in circumference), and so if you're like me and you use a thick tooth patch as well, it can feel awkward, especially compared to a metal piece like the STM.

Great 100 mp though, I think--and the little metal band on the shank is a nice (vintagey) touch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts