Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after reading a post on how to choose a replacement neck for a Mark 6, I reflected on how truly lucky I am with the equipment I have collected,as my only option has been simply.....to buy!! be it Ebay,here on Sotw...etc.

but the best way to choose is A-B comparison's,and its's really tough to go into a store and say "I'd like to compare a 1960's Otto Link to a 1970's and "New Vintage"...while your add it throw in a 60's Berg Larsen,Brilhart HR...and a couple of Theo Wanne's...and an Aaron Drake............. oh and do you have a copper,sterling silver or yellow brass replacement neck for my Radio Improved Tenor as well?

......maybe the ONLY sax shop that can keep me busy for over an hour is Mike Duchstein's in Berlin......he's got it all

any one else got a favorite.....or at least a destination

Roberto's is the most complete place in NYC...but still...they only sell what they sell....it seems very geared in one direction

anyone in Boston,SF,Chicago,Paris,Amsterdam???? etc.etc.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
I find Rayburns to have a pretty good stock on hand - they are a Selmer Pro Shop as well. Not a lot of vintage mouthpieces but they even have the Theo Wanne stuff. Many others would do well to stock there (Drake, Warburton, Lebayle, etc....)

Nothing beats being able to go in and try out a bunch of stuff back to back. I'm much more inclined to spend more $ if I am able to test drive it first, otherwise, as a practice, I will not shell out any cash for a big ticket item (anything over 100, yeah, not the big for some) if I can't test it with other products back to back unless it is specifically what I know I want - and then it's usually because I was able to test it. ;-)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,628 Posts
I think that the best stocked shops in Holland are not in Amsterdam where, in fact, there are very few and not particularly well stocked shops.
Harry Bakker in Muiderberg (Not too far but well outside Amsterdam) is possibly the best stocked shop around Amsterdam. Otherwise Adams or Van Gorp both in the south of the country almost in Belgium, many smaller shops around the country but nowhere near what I see for example at Sax.co.uk

·
Registered
260 Posts
Saxquest in St. Louis, MO is a great shop. They have different vintage horns and mouthpieces as well as new ones.

They also have a really cool saxophone museum upstairs above the shop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts