Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find the best mouthpiece for my Series l tenor for ballads. I need a "smooth" sound with just the right amount of darkness and edge. I have tried the C* and Meyer HR but they just don't cut it. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,547 Posts
I assume that you are looking for pricetags that are non-stratospheric, so trying to find a Dukoff Hollywood is out. I have had good luck with the Morgan pieces for this mellow side of tenor playing. The facings are exceptional and incredibly consistent (in my experience)...they are mellow when soft and predictably become a little edgy as you add air. There is lots of flexibility; the Morgan Jazz is available in two chamber sizes (L and M). If you want the flexibility of chamber size with a little more projection, I have found the Excalibur to provide that well. I like large chamber mouthpieces and have both a Jazz 8L and an Excal 8EL. The only downside is that they are almost too smooth, lacking the 'richness' that other pieces have (like Links and Link copies). Don't know why as the L chamber looks very much like a Link with concave sidewalls and a pronounced rollover baffle.

For the money, these are VERY nice handfaced pieces.

·
Registered
294 Posts
No, no, no! I meant the current production Hollywood--about $150--not a vintage!

I've never played a Morgan, but I've heard good stuff about 'em. Actually isn't the Link--either metal or HR--the classic piece for lush sound?

The Dukoff LD is very full and deep sounding but it has much more volume and projection that a Link. I use it for everything--but then, H don't play classical....

It's true that Links and Dukoffs are a bit hit or miss when it comes to accurate workmanship. But Silverite is pretty soft and I evened up the rails on my LD with a Gerber pocket knife (no, I wasn't drinking). I figured if it didn't work, what the hey, I only paid $100 for it (back then).

Whatever you decide on, if you aren't completely satisfied, do like the rest of us do: buy another one. You've GOT to have more than one!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,849 Posts
I like my metal Barone Jazz piece for all sorts of playing, including ballads. It is like a Link STM, but has more guts (edge) to it. I'm experimented with putting temporary baffles in it too. If you can find a used one around somewhere, give it a try.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Try perhaps a HR Berg larson chamber 2. One of the best piece I have tried with a rich sound plenty of harmonics.

·
1,001 Posts
I recommend an HR Otto Link with a Rovner Dark Lig. The mpc is $71 and the lig is $15 from on-line places like Weiner, mus123 or wwbw.

A lot depends on what opening you can play with comfort. Moving up to a 6 should not be a big deal. Anything beyond a 100 will take some effort and will shorten your phrases for a while.

The key to a melody is the tone. That is less dependent on the mouthpiece than on your blowing. Plenty of air support is needed but stop short of over-blowing. Your throat should feel open as if you were singing an 'Oh' sound.

For melodies I like the 6 HR Link (opening 90) with a V-16 2.5. To wake up people at the back tables with some jazz I like the HR Berg 95/1 with a V-16 3.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Best sounding tenor piece for a smooth sound.

These are all good suggestions. Thanks. I have heard good things about RPC's and of course, like all sax players, I have a drawer full of pieces already but the search goes on. :wink:

·
4,547 Posts
Re: Best sounding tenor piece for a smooth sound.

DanF said:
These are all good suggestions. Thanks. I have heard good things about RPC's and of course, like all sax players, I have a drawer full of pieces already but the search goes on. :wink:

·
4,547 Posts
Re: Best sounding tenor piece for a smooth sound.

DanF said:
Sorry about that...not paying attention.

I think tenor players are the worst in expecting to find mouthpiece nirvana...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
best sounding tenor piece for ballads

CodyW and Tom Goodrick, I am bidding on a HR Link 6*. I dug thru my drawer and came upon my barely-played VanDuren V16 gold plated piece and forgot how nice it sounded. Since I play mostly rock n' roll and need some edge I forgot I had this piece but I put a Fibracell on it and it jumped to life. Got the full range of the horn and can get great subtones and the great sound I am looking for. It would be nice to get some use out of it since I got it when they first came out and paid over $300 bucks for it at Chuck Levins in DC. Now you can hardley give them away. WWBW's price now is about $189.00 new. Still would like to try a Link. I've never played one. Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.