Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a middle school band director and many of my well intentioned parents research the internet and purchase an instrument. Here are the type of reviews they read to make their decisions.

https://www.cmuse.org/best-soprano-saxophone/

Would you purchase any of these?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,620 Posts
I'm a middle school band director and many of my well intentioned parents research the internet and purchase an instrument. Here are the type of reviews they read to make their decisions.

No, and I would steer very clear of any such site. Those are not actual objective reviews (either expert or customer based) but merely a money making affiliate site. One of them is not even a saxophone so I feel sorry for any parent fooled into thinking they can make an informed decision based on these reviews.

From the CMUSE home page:

CMUSE is a participant of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program – it is designed to provide an aid for the websites in earning an advertisement fee – by means of advertising and linking to Amazon.com products.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
There are two brands I recognize- Allora and Selmer, but none of the others. In short, no, even if I didn’t know saxophones I would ask for recommendations from you (the band director) first. Earlier this year we bought a good quality cello for my son, appropriate for an advancing player. We knew very little so we deferred to his teacher’s opinion and we went to a well-respected luthier and he picked one out after playing 5 of them. I wouldn’t put any stock in online advertising engines.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Well, to be fair, on SOTW or Pete's website you won't find insights about the soprano saxophone like this one: "These musical instruments originated in Hawaii and have become popular among people who live in all parts of the world by now."

I usually find it easy to recognize that a website has been created solely to generate ad-revenue clicks or sales leads. The writing on such sites is typically terrible, even for the Internet. Professionals in any field may not write impeccably, but they normally avoid gibberish, such as this: "You will be able to receive a high key, key of B flat and keys that come along with faux pearl inlays." This kind of "English" was probably machine-translated and then half-polished. No respectable company or serious reviewer would publish it.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
So sad to see people get conned by a third-rate website. They have the Mendini as the #1 soprano on the market and the Ammoon as #2 when everybody knows the Ammoon is the best. Fake news!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,046 Posts
Does anyone else remember when "best" was better than "good"? Now it seems to mean "least worst".

Make superlatives glorious again!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,373 Posts

Are you serious? I wouldn't buy any of those. The best sopranos are Yanagisawa and Yamaha… or vintage. But the bigger question is, what middle-school band uses soprano sax? When I was in school, only the tenor and alto were used in the concert band.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you serious? I wouldn't buy any of those. The best sopranos are Yanagisawa and Yamaha… or vintage. But the bigger question is, what middle-school band uses soprano sax? When I was in school, only the tenor and alto were used in the concert band.
I wouldn't buy these either. This is just an example. There are also similar "Best" list for Trumpets, Alto Saxophone, Flute etc.... Some parents will ask my opinion while other parents purchase something off a 'best of' internet sight.

·
34,046 Posts
I wouldn't buy these either. This is just an example. There are also similar "Best" list for Trumpets, Alto Saxophone, Flute etc.... Some parents will ask my opinion while other parents purchase something off a 'best of' internet sight.
I suggest that you warn parents about such sites on Back-to-School night when you do the annual meet and greet.

Maybe by next fall we could compile a list of the best "Best" list sites, or at least identify sites that are more credible.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,512 Posts
From the CMUSE home page:

CMUSE is a participant of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program – it is designed to provide an aid for the websites in earning an advertisement fee – by means of advertising and linking to Amazon.com products.
Bingo. Actually, most online 'review' sites are funded by the corporations which sell the items... or services ...being 'reviewed'....

So sad to see people get conned by a third-rate website. They have the Mendini as the #1 soprano on the market and the Ammoon as #2 when everybody knows the Ammoon is the best. Fake news!
I beg to differ, sir. Between those two brands, it DEPENDS upon which finish we are talking about....

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
"The leather pads are associated with metal tone boosters to offer an enhanced experience to all the players. "

"One of the most notable features that can be found in this soprano saxophone is the clear lacquer keys and body. "

Ya can't miss!!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
There are so many sites like that which masquerade as a review site, but are merely taking info from other places, sometimes Amazon reviews and pointing directly to their site for purchase. It is a shame that people will see these and think they actually found info, when it is crap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personal professional experience has taught me to avoid with a wide berth any Allora instrument; getting pads etc. for these is highly problematic! And when it comes to a soprano sax, an instrument that is notoriously difficult to manufacture in tune across all registers, the only one I would recommend is the Selmer. Just make sure that it is paired with a GOOD mouthpiece (not the stock that is supplied) and, unlike MOST band directors, PLEASE do not insist that your sax players use VERY hard reeds for the sake of volume! It does NOTHING to increase the volume, and on a musician that is still developing their embrochure, which high school students are doing, it can actually be very detrimental. Just make sure they use a QUALITY reed, and try and avoid synthetics if possible.

·
34,046 Posts
Personal professional experience has taught me to avoid with a wide berth any Allora instrument; getting pads etc. for these is highly problematic! And when it comes to a soprano sax, an instrument that is notoriously difficult to manufacture in tune across all registers, the only one I would recommend is the Selmer.
Is that because you have no experience with Yanagisawa? While tone is a subjective matter, intonation is not, and Yanagisawa is known for great intonation. I have owned sops of all series from Selmer, from Mk VI forward, and both straight and curved versions of Yanagisawa.

I agree with most of your comments regarding reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,373 Posts
I wouldn't buy these either. This is just an example… Some parents will ask my opinion while other parents purchase something off a 'best of' internet sight.
Okay. thanks for clearing that up. Of course, parents shouldn't believe these (dishonest?) websites. I hope you can talk some sense into them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts