Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share this here.

I was in Copenhagen at the IK Gottfried shop where I used to work repairing horns and took the opportunity to make a video about the Selmer Mark VI.

Special guest Bob Rockwell (thanks for letting me use the music), and a pink Mark vi that was owned by Dexter Gordon.

At some point I play the melody to Chega de Saudade in the video with no accompaniment, and no joke, before I had clicked the publish button, there was a copyright claim on the video!

Moral of the story: don't stick too close to the melody when making YouTube videos...

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
Yeah, Ive put my MarkVI tenor to the side for a while for a Balanced Action.
I tend to agree about the altos but a good player can “hear the pitch, play the pitch” if they get used to the sax. Just going through 15 altos blatting away on them it would be difficult to pick one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
Good video and a very valid point of view, but a little inconsistent to say that all the MKVI altos he tried were out of tune and then latter (accurately) concede that no saxophone will play in tune without adjustments from the player. I like the intonation on MKVI altos (generally sharp in the upper register, regardless of bow design) as it allows you to 'tune sharp and blow flat' which of course is the secret to a great sound. Whoops, did I just let a secret out........... ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good video and very informative for a (experienced) beginner like me.
It confirms my suspicions.
And I like the no-nonsense approach of the video!

I had it in the same corner as the I-phone.
OK, it probably has it's qualities.
It certainly has a very dedicated following
But I fail to see why it would be better than lot's of others

An mostly: overpriced!

Disclaimer:
I must say that I have never played any saxophone of that level. My YTS32 still plays better than I do ;-)
I hardly ever played any other sax than that one.
Probably wouldn't (yet) be able to recognise the virtues of these high-level saxes if I did play it.
So, my impressions about this brand are based purely on what I have read and heard about it from various sources.

·
Registered
337 Posts
What a highly enjoyable video!!!! Your topic was great, but congrats on your delivery of the info! It is obvious you love what you do & enthusiasm is always contagious.

As for my gear, I long ago developed the attitude of: Stop Shopping & Make What You Have Work! So my 1953 10M Tenor & 1968 MKVI alto ( which I bought in 1970 for only $350!!!) are the starting line up & I've put in the years to making them work!!

... having said that.... I've not tried a Yani yet.... hum... maybe I'm missing something...

Oh my

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What a highly enjoyable video!!!! Your topic was great, but congrats on your delivery of the info! It is obvious you love what you do & enthusiasm is always contagious.

As for my gear, I long ago developed the attitude of: Stop Shopping & Make What You Have Work! So my 1953 10M Tenor & 1968 MKVI alto ( which I bought in 1970 for only $350!!!) are the starting line up & I've put in the years to making them work!!

... having said that.... I've not tried a Yani yet.... hum... maybe I'm missing something...

Oh my
Thanks! Glad you liked it. Yeah I love talking about saxophones... and playing them. Stop shopping and make what you have work is a great topic for a video. I love trying new gear, but it definitely distracts from the real task at hand...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
strange, I would have thought it was this...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,112 Posts
I love Bob Rockwell's music and play, not to mention his demeanor on stage. I have heard him live several times over the course of many years; every time on a MKVI and with one of the best tenor tones that I can appreciate.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
you had me till you said some of the new Selmers are better then a restored good Mark VI :yikes!:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts