Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since 1960 I used Broward Band Instruments, but they went under years ago. In the meantime I've had my saxes partially overhauled a couple of times and I wasn't thrilled nor disappointed by the work, just meh.

And since I now play sax, wind synth, guitar, and voice on the gig, I don't get them overhauled as much as I used to.

So a few questions:

If I have two tenors done anywhere from Melbourne to Miami, who does the best work?

Do they relacquer?

What is the going price?

Ok if they don't relacquer, who does?

And the price?

Lots of questions I know.

Thanks for any info.

Notes

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The two I know of are Gary Underwood Music in Winter Park and South Florida Horns in Lake Worth.

I visited Gary's ship while in Orlando seeing my family. He gave great advice on my vintage Martin soprano to get it in top playing condition. His website is http://www.garyunderwoodmusic.com

I only know of South Florida Horns by reputation, and their website is http://www.southfloridahorns.com

I have no idea of pricing on their work, and to give you an estimate they would probably have to have the instrument on their bench. They could have a starting at price, but if the instrument requires significant body work it would likely go up from there.

I know Gary Underwood doesn't have relacquering capability, but don't know about South Florida Horns. There aren't many places that offer relacquering.

Hope this gives you a little help in finding someplace to work on your horns.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
314 Posts
I was a bit hesitant to reply to this thread due to your zone limits (from Melbourne to Miami) but I would need to fully agree with John Kotches. If you are willing to travel to Central Florida, Gary Underwood in Winter Park is the best around. An expert in his craft.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I got my Mark VI tenor overhauled about 10 years ago now by Sheldon Kanis. He works in a shop in Savannah, Ga. When I was at the Univetsity of North Florida, all the undergrads and sax professors went to him for work.
I should also add that John Thomas, more well known for his mouthpieces is known as a very fine Saxophone tech and lives and works in Jacksonville.
Those should be two good options for you that you may not have known.

·
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses. I'm checking them out.

Bob

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I would also recommend the drive up to North Carolina and visit Ken Beason, he's in Asheville which is just beautiful and if you have time
I would ship the horn up then drive up to pick it up. Hope this helps. Jay

·
Registered
88 Posts
In Melbourne there’s a shop called “The Horn Section”, they do great work. But Gary Underwood in Winter Park is no doubt the best around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had another PM recommending "The Horn Section".

I might not need that overhaul after all. It was for my outdoor sax, and for about the price of an overhaul I picked up a nice Yamaha YTS-52.

Notes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts