Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know that you guys are gonna tell me that i shouldnt compare
musicians together, but i am asking who's improvisation appeals to you the most?

for me its the tall great dex gordon, but cannonball, parker and trane are not far behind

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,321 Posts
I am really likin Richie Cole...That dude is outrageous. Listen to him with Freddie Hubbard on Shaw Nuff

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,321 Posts
I also think Coltrane was more lyrical than Cannonball...., but Coltrane played the changes better than Cannonball in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I have to agree on the Osby vote but I'm also a big fan of Ornette Coleman. Just so melodic. When I listen to Ornette I really get the feeling that he is improvising from deep down not just regurgitating lick after lick. There are some great players who are more lick based, I just prefer listening to the ones who are not.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cannonball may not play changes as amazingly as trane, but he did seem to keep the blues feel in jazz in whatever he played. But yes tranes "giant steps" show how accomplished at improvisation he got, in that song he was hitting around 100 chord changes a minute completely correct

·
Registered
300 Posts
Raphyel said:
I also think Coltrane was more lyrical than Cannonball...., but Coltrane played the changes better than Cannonball in my opinion.
Curious... did you mean Cannonball was more lyrical than Coltrane?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I was wondering the same thing... in my opinion Cannonball was much mroe lyrical than coltrane... well i guess which song you're comparing to.. My vote goes to bird!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,596 Posts
Donny McCaslin or Seamus Blake get my vote. Both prolific composers with a highly developed style in their writing and improvising; both highly thematic, developmental and unpredictable yet tasteful in their soloing; and both extremely classy and friendly guys!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'd vote for Brecker\Sanborn. Can't really explain why, just do.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
TJS said:
I have to agree on the Osby vote but I'm also a big fan of Ornette Coleman. Just so melodic. When I listen to Ornette I really get the feeling that he is improvising from deep down not just regurgitating lick after lick. There are some great players who are more lick based, I just prefer listening to the ones who are not.
Composer Howard Shore said that for Ornette Coleman's sax solos for the score to David Cronenberg's Naked Lunch (which were played at the recording sessions with the Royal Philharmonic, not overdubbed), Ornette brought astronomical charts and other paraphanalia to the sessions, to help him work out his improvised solos.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,361 Posts
The best improvisor is totally dependent on what you mean by "best." Very, very subjective and impossible to determine with any degree of objectivity. Having said that, NO ONE can touch Charlie Parker!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,236 Posts
Lester Young was certainly an original. I don't think I could ever mistake anyone for him, not even his legion of imitators.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,284 Posts
Jazz: Sonny Stitt - I think he blew away the competition in on every recorded sax battle (that I've heard.)

in any genre: Plas Johnson, (King Curtis #2.) Plas Johnson's solos on the T-Bone Walker's T-Bone's Blues album are the most original and melodic and have the best use of "special effects" that I've ever heard.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts