Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got a Ted Klum Acoustimer alto mouthpiece and WOW! What a sound! Most likely one of the most even mouthpieces I've played on. I guess you get what you pay for! ;) Curious though. Out of my vandoren reeds, I really only found 1 Green Java 2.5 strength that matched well. This reed too, was very old, so I was surprised how it responded. After going through newer javas and V16's however, I really couldn't find a good match. Tried 2's 2.5's. 3's are def. too hard for that setup.

Any recommendations of other reed brands to try? I have tried Alexander reeds, too fuzzy and unclear for me.

Thanks!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
From my experience, your best option will be one of the following:
François Louis
Roberto's Winds
Rigotti Gold

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Vandlay, thanks. Any idea for strength? I am looking for reeds that are def. not too hard out of the box. How does the strength of RJS compare w/ the strength of vandoren java's? Thanks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hey Vandlay, thanks. Any idea for strength? I am looking for reeds that are def. not too hard out of the box. How does the strength of RJS compare w/ the strength of vandoren java's? Thanks.
I recently got a Acoustimer .074 and I agree it plays fantastic. For a .080 tip opening maybe a 3 soft or 2 hard would work. I'm not a java users but I find they run slightly harder then rico. I like the jazz selects because they have a little more focus and a nice buzz. I believe Ted tests his mpcs with jazz selects as well. Hope this helps!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,376 Posts
I like Rico 4, LaVoz Hard and Rigotti 4 on my 82 VersiTone Acoustimer and Acoustimax 'C'. I think a lot of people are ordering the 81 opening because Will Vinson is using that size. I think he's using Hemkes. He's coming over next week to trial some Acoustimax and some other prototype-ish pieces. I'm looking forward to hearing one of the finest alto players on the scene today!

Sebastian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts