Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SOTW Administrator
26,215 Posts
I just scrape away with my pocket knife blade.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm trying to get away from that method and get more legit. (I use a Red Devil razor utility knife, sometimes, so I know all about that)

Then let me re-address this question to those who KNOW ABOUT & USE real reed knives. (not DIY or bootleg jury-rigged ideas) thanks!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,303 Posts
I have used a Rigotti or Vitri double hollow ground on clarinet, sax, and oboe reeds with excellent results.
While the Rigotti may be a bit more 'affordable' I prefer the Vitri. It seems to hold it's 'edge' better.
What ever knife you choose be sure to get a good quality sharpening stone to go with it, and learn how to use it.
Reed adjustments are so much easier with a fresh, sharp blade. :)

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
I used to use a (heavier) bevel edge knife for work around the heart and on the bottom side of the reed, and a (lighter) double hollow knife for working closer to the tip. Now I just use the ATG System, instead. 

I think my reed knives were Rigotti and Vitri, and they worked well. You can get them at WWBW. However, clarnut's Landwell may well be better. I guess it boils down to how much you're willing to pay. A good reed knife is definitely a good investment, though -- as long as you learn how to use it effectively.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,303 Posts
If you know a double reed player with experience making their own reeds hit them up for a few pointers.
They'll have you slicing and dicing in no time.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...well Sanborn said about everything I would say about the reedgeek....ive never worked on a reed ,other than using a clipper....and that reedgeek looks easy to use and understand!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
What do you think the best brand reed knife is, for tenor sax?
Did you buy one? I've been using plain utility knife blades. They seem to work, but I've been wondering about upgrading?

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
FWIW rather than use a reed knife which my friendly bassoon playing buddy has a multitude of ...... I have had much better success with setting the edge flat and then rolling a burr with the proper carbide tool as one does with a cabinet scraper. Much smoother finish on the reed (polished shiny to the naked eye actually) and much easier to control with very fine weeny tiny curly shavings. I am now looking for the right shape hardened steel R60-62 handled blade that I can grind the edge flat and go for it. However my most valued wood shaping tools in my shop are my cabinet scrapers so I know I am prejudiced LOL.

In a pinch a razor blade will roll a really nice sharp edge but they don''t last.

·
Registered
494 Posts
When I was into reed scraping, I used a surgical scalpel. You can get blades in a variety of sizes and shapes, and they are easy to exchange.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Reedgeek seems cool, I just tend to use my pocket knife.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts