Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
Joined
·
13,023 Posts
for standards, jazz, or rock/pop?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
Joined
·
4,881 Posts
I think most folks rely on the Hal Leonard 6th edition REAL BOOKs -- now in Volumes 1, 2, and 3.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
Joined
·
3,764 Posts
hgiles said:
I think most folks rely on the Hal Leonard 6th edition REAL BOOKs -- now in Volumes 1, 2, and 3.
That's probably true. However, you can pick up a whole bunch of various fake books in various genres, on CD these days for not much bread. So I just grab anything I don't already have.

Look around on Ebay and you'll find a few Cds with a whole bunch of fake books.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
Joined
·
3,310 Posts
I found an ebay deal with about 35 fake books (C, Eb and Bb) to download for $13 ($15 for the CD). That pretty much covers the bases.

Ebay seller was jazzplr12 I have no connection with the seller.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZjazzplr12
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Anything before the 6th edition real books are copyright infringment, correct? 6th edition was the first edition where Hal Leonard people took the time to make the books legal. :]
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
Ferret said:
Anything before the 6th edition real books are copyright infringment, correct? 6th edition was the first edition where Hal Leonard people took the time to make the books legal. :]
I still have all my old Real Books, pre-legal: e-flat, b-flat, and c. Am I going to jail yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
The Real Book, edition 6, corrected MANY of the bad chords
changes of the earlier books, (as well as melody,etc...).I like the Sher Co. books much better. They contain much more information: Intros, outros, accurate changes, alternate chords, bass parts,(sometimes), on and on.... I like The New Real Book Vol I, and the Standards Book- they are the most gig use-able.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
I still have all my old Real Books, pre-legal: e-flat, b-flat, and c. Am I going to jail yet?
See... if the musicians themselves don't honor copyright, who should we expect to honor it? :p No wonder hardly anyone can make a living off music lately. (I admit I've done my share of taking the "but it's cheap/free" before... I'm trying to break that tendency. :[ )
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top