Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your advice is welcome. Price is not a consideration. Just make your best recommendation.

Thanks

·
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no "best".
Each of us has their own personal preferences. For each of us, those are our best recommendations. If you don't have one to make, then there is plenty of other things elsewhere here in the Forum to entertain yourself with.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,035 Posts
Each of us has their own personal preferences. For each of us, those are our best recommendations. If you don't have one to make, then there is plenty of other things elsewhere here in the Forum to entertain yourself with.
Cool your jets, rocket man. He said a lot with that short sentence - try to get it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member & Forum Contributor 2016
1,604 Posts
After a little experimenting with a few other mics...I settled on an AMT wireless system. Is it the best, I don't know...but it's the best for me.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Do you know about mics and just want to hear what people use or you just need a recommendation cause you have no idea about them ?

·
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you know about mics and just want to hear what people use or you just need a recommendation cause you have no idea about them ?
I own cheap/crapy ones and need to upgrade.

Thank you to those o you who have already made suggestions or directed me to useful information.

·
Registered
573 Posts
There is a variety of mics that could be good. What dictates which to use depends on your style, the music and the venue. Ive seen any type of mic available (almost) that has been used live for the sax.
First you need to select from two big categories: clip-on mic or stand mic.
The ones that clip on the bell will give you flexibility of movement and best protection against feedback, if you know the places to avoid on stage. They can be wired or wireless. The negative side is that they add extra weight to the sax and the sound is not the best possible. Also is something that you have to invest in as you could not accept the venue to provide that. The price is reasonable just for the mic but if you go wireless the cost can be quite high for quality.
Then you have the mics for stand that fall in two big categories, dynamic and capacitor ( forget ribbons)
Dynamics are cheaper in general and are better to withstand abuse. They can be better for venues that have problems with feedback like most untreated places like bars, cafes, etc. It is reasonable to accept that if the venue has a PA installed they can also provide one of those, most common shure sm 57 and 58.
Capacitor mics provide the best sound quality and are used in recording studios and concert halls.
Stay away from ribbons for live use.
There is a huge variety from all the above that can provide excellent results.

·
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a variety of mics that could be good. What dictates which to use depends on your style, the music and the venue. Ive seen any type of mic available (almost) that has been used live for the sax.
First you need to select from two big categories: clip-on mic or stand mic.
The ones that clip on the bell will give you flexibility of movement and best protection against feedback, if you know the places to avoid on stage. They can be wired or wireless. The negative side is that they add extra weight to the sax and the sound is not the best possible. Also is something that you have to invest in as you could not accept the venue to provide that. The price is reasonable just for the mic but if you go wireless the cost can be quite high for quality.
Then you have the mics for stand that fall in two big categories, dynamic and capacitor ( forget ribbons)
Dynamics are cheaper in general and are better to withstand abuse. They can be better for venues that have problems with feedback like most untreated places like bars, cafes, etc. It is reasonable to accept that if the venue has a PA installed they can also provide one of those, most common shure sm 57 and 58.
Capacitor mics provide the best sound quality and are used in recording studios and concert halls.
Stay away from ribbons for live use.
There is a huge variety from all the above that can provide excellent results.
Thank you, this is helpful advice.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Honestly, I think any good vocal microphone will work pretty well on sax.

Given the high sound pressure level of a saxophone I would tend toward dynamic mics rather than condensers.

Personally I have been pretty thoroughly satisfied with the evergreen SM57 and a little tweaking of EQ at the mixing board, but maybe I don't have as good taste as the rest of you. One good thing about the SM57 is that it's common as dirt so everyone knows its characteristics, how to EQ with it, and if one goes feet-up you can grab another one almost instantly. And it's cheap.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The SM 57 is good, with a small modifcation can be much better but you need soldering skills.
But the Sennheiser 441 is in an other category, both sound and pricewise. And the looks...
And also the Electro-Voice RE20.
Capacitor mics dont have problem with the dynamic range of the saxophone in general but for live use and for stand mic a dynamic will be better.
Most clip on mics are of the capacitor type.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?100043-Electro-Voice-RE-20

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?125857-Senn-421-vs-Electrovoice-RE-20

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?131611-Sennheiser-421-vs-EV-RE20

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?171094-Saxophone-mic-which-one-to-choose

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/474168-recording-saxophone-re-20-a.html

Here is everything from dynamics to capacitors to clip-ons
https://www.thomann.de/gb/microphones_for_saxophones.html?ls=100

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,204 Posts
For live, non-bell-mounted: Sennheiser 441, the dynamic mic that sounds like a condensor. Looks boss, too.
That is a good choice - I like the RE20 and the humble SM58 also for live work if you're using a stand.

The SM58 is not a favorite of some, but I think it's because of how inexpensive it is. Cats like Bono and Michael Jackson (and many others) have even used them to record hit records. I've seen Bowie use one on sax live back in the 70's...I think part of why they work so well live is that every engineer has had lots of experience Eq'ing them for live work - They've been a staple of live sound reinforcement since the 70's. Many of them out there have been in use since then too - They are extremely durable. I keep one in my emergency kit at all times.

I use a Shure Beta 98 clip-on for live work - It won out over the Samson Airline 88, and the AT350 for me.

Edit: I see others feel pretty much the same way about the 57/58 - I didn't read all the posts before replying...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Echoing many others here, I like the Shure SM57. Its basic, built like a tank, indestructible and pretty much every venue has one if you don't carry your own mics.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts