• Hercules Travlite

Votes: 24 37.5%
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I want to find a portable stand that would fit in the bell of my sax (tenor MKVII) so I can have everything in my case when I go out and I'd be curious to hear your experience with either of these to help me make an informed choice.

I have found so far 4 candidates :

K&M Saxxy $75 K&M Midge $35 K&M Jazz $70 Hercules TravLite $40

Important factors I would consider are : stability, portability, price.

Of course, if you have any other suggestion, please feel free to share them with us!

Thank you!

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
I was going to add weight as a factor, but they're all fairly light.

The K&M Midge at $35 could be a bargain, it all depends on it's durability.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
Which is it, stability or (cheap)price? Can't have both.
You dont even have the sturdiest AND most compact stand out there: Protec Deluxe. Rock solid, a little heavier than most because its rock solid. Grabs the sax tight, no wobble(saxxy), no "play" between connections(Hercules)... but, it more expensive than all those... but worth it. Unbelievably compact. Check it out. Doesn't your MK VII deserve functionality over price and convenience?
The above is not an endorsement, I have all the above stands ... I want the Protec holding my axe.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,075 Posts
I want to find a portable stand that would fit in the bell of my sax (tenor MKVII) so I can have everything in my case when I go out ...
I just can't understand this. I hate putting anything in the bell of my horn, even if it's wrapped in the thickest softest terry cloth. I got a Pro-Tec case for my tenor that has a side pocket big enough to hold a strong stand so I don't have to put anything in the bell. I have to get a new case for the bari because the one I have now doesn't have any extra room in it and I have to put the terry cloth bag with the neck, mouthpieces and reeds in the bell. The bari stand is too big to go in any case so I have to carry that separately if I'm going to be playing more than one instrument. If I'm only playing bari I don't take the stand, I put the bari back in the case at breaks. Sorry if that's not responsive to the question, but I hadda rant.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,121 Posts
........ I got a Pro-Tec case for my tenor that has a side pocket big enough to hold a strong stand ............ The bari stand is too big to go in any case so I have to carry that separately ..........
Time to buy a Pro-tec bari case? :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
I just can't understand this. I hate putting anything in the bell of my horn, even if it's wrapped in the thickest softest terry cloth. I got a Pro-Tec case for my tenor that has a side pocket big enough to hold a strong stand so I don't have to put anything in the bell.
I agree 100% - I won't put anything in the bell of my saxes. I've come across too many saxes with damage caused by necks, mouthpieces or accessories stored in the bell. Like MartinMusicMan, I store my stand in the pocket of a Pro-Tec case (and happen to be playing a Martin Music Man tenor lately, too!).

Again, sorry for not responding to the question, but I think it is something worth considering.

·
13,075 Posts

·
13,075 Posts
Like MartinMusicMan, I store my stand in the pocket of a Pro-Tec case (and happen to be playing a Martin Music Man tenor lately, too!).
Don't ya love that horn?!

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, then I'd rather not shove anything down the bell of my horn of it's potentially harmful. :( I suppose I can do with my regular Hercules stand for now and invest in something more stable like suggested by JohnGalt.

·
2,118 Posts
I went with the Saxxy, and keep it in the bell of my 5digit6 in my Hiscox case. The Hercules Travlite is a flimsy piece of junk. Don't be fooled by the sturdy appearance of the Protec deluxe - it's not as well made as it should be for it's weight, plenty of 'play' in the spring-loaded buttons that hold it in position (how long before those buttons shear off or springs break?) ,and not any more stable than most other stands. Never seen the Midge or Jazz. The Saxxy can be had for less than $75. Shop around...

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
...I got a Pro-Tec case for my tenor that has a side pocket big enough to hold a strong stand so I don't have to put anything in the bell...
My tenor Saxxy resides in the side pocket as well. Now if my soprano stand fit in the soprano bell, that would be tres useful.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,177 Posts
Grabs the sax tight, no wobble(saxxy)...
If you had a Saxxy stand and it wobbled, then you did not have it set up correctly. If you set the prongs so the lower bumpers contact the bow/bell connection, there will be no wobble and your horn will not come out unless lifted. Some will set the stand up so the sticks poke under the rim of the horn to hold it that way. That is an incorrect use of the stand as the top tips of the sticks should not touch the bell. Though the concept of the design seems somewhat scary, in practice it is more secure than any "U" prong type of stand I've come across; and this includes the high end contraptions costing much, much more. That it fits in the bell and takes up little stage space (especially the alto Saxxy) is pure bonus.

·
2,309 Posts
Back when my LaVoz stands gave up the ghost I went with the Protec stands also (their double stand is very nice also).
But to tell the truth when I play the smaller clubs (like the typical Blue Note clubs) most of the time I'll just set my horn down on the piano or a small stage table if one has been set up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,177 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi all!

I want to find a portable stand that would fit in the bell of my sax (tenor MKVII) so I can have everything in my case when I go out and I'd be curious to hear your experience with either of these to help me make an informed choice.

I have found so far 4 candidates :

K&M Saxxy $75 K&M Midge $35 K&M Jazz $70 Hercules TravLite $40

Important factors I would consider are : stability, portability, price.

Of course, if you have any other suggestion, please feel free to share them with us!

Thank you!
I own a Hercules Travlite and I am NOT that impressed with its stability.

Ron M

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
I realize they're out of fashion now, but If I'm using only one sax, I like the Hamilton. It won't fit in the bell, but it comes in a drawstring bag and I can carry the bag with the same hand as the sax case. They're stable and adjustable., and seem to be popular with us older players.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts