Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add some flowers and some cursive writing to the bell section aswell as getting some flowers done on the neck? Anywhere in British Columbia where this service could be provided?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I doubt you'll find anyone there, but possibly. You'll more than likely have to send it to someone.

The only 2 engravers I know of are Jason DuMars and Eric Drake. Jason only takes select jobs now a days. Both are great. Google to find stuff.

I'd say Jason is probably the best I know of out there, but tough to get in with.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm also assuming if you had enough pratice with instruments in poor condition it would be possible do to the work yourself, I do really enjoy the stock engaving on the Conn NW II but it would also be nice to also see some more personalized engravings aswell.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
What about Sherry Huntley of Artistic Engraving, in Granger, IN ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,950 Posts

·
7,906 Posts
Any good hand engraver should be able to do the work you require.
By good hand engraver I don't mean the same guy that engraves your dogs name on a tag.
Someone trained in graver work.
You are kidding yourself if you think you'll be able to do it yourself.
My first job was as an engraver 30 years ago.
We started off engraving crappy little trophies with the rotary engraver.
After a lot of rotary engraving of trophies, plaques etc, we were trained in Burin or Graver engraving.
This is the technique used in brass instrument engraving, apart from many of the crappy horns coming from PRC which use laser engraving.
Proper Burin Hand graver work is not something you learn overnight.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Pity - she was damned good. Her contacts are still on the Web, though, so maybe…. No, I suppose not…

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Any good hand engraver should be able to do the work you require.
By good hand engraver I don't mean the same guy that engraves your dogs name on a tag.
Someone trained in graver work.
You are kidding yourself if you think you'll be able to do it yourself.
My first job was as an engraver 30 years ago.
We started off engraving crappy little trophies with the rotary engraver.
After a lot of rotary engraving of trophies, plaques etc, we were trained in Burin or Graver engraving.
This is the technique used in brass instrument engraving, apart from many of the crappy horns coming from PRC which use laser engraving.
Proper Burin Hand graver work is not something you learn overnight.
So you trained in Burin… I've got a Conn tenor that needs a Ladyface…

·
7,906 Posts
It was a long time ago and I only had minimal training.
But you could contact my old boss Brendan at Scotia Engraving.
He was quite skilled.
That is of course if he’s still there.
30 years is a long time.

·
7,906 Posts
It was a long time ago and I only had minimal training.
But you could contact my old boss Brendan at Scotia Engraving.
He was quite skilled.
That is of course if he’s still there.
30 years is a long time.
I just did a little googling and found that my old boss Brendan Currie has had his own business for the last 30 years.
National Engraving Co located in Longlea Vic.
Almost neighbours!

·
3,003 Posts
There's an old guy tucked away in the the CBD in Melbourne, Nick the engraver. He's amazing. I don't have his details or know if he's even still working or alive but he'd be worth chasing up. Phil Noy knows him and a friend of mine had him re-engrave his BA alto. It was magic to look at.

·
7,906 Posts
There's an old guy tucked away in the the CBD in Melbourne, Nick the engraver. He's amazing. I don't have his details or know if he's even still working or alive but he'd be worth chasing up. Phil Noy knows him and a friend of mine had him re-engrave his BA alto. It was magic to look at.
Is that AA Nika Engraving?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,880 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I just did a little googling and found that my old boss Brendan Currie has had his own business for the last 30 years.
National Engraving Co located in Longlea Vic.
Almost neighbours!
Is that AA Nika Engraving?
Thanks, Nick and Benny. I'll track them down !

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,880 Posts
That’s a great idea! So what about trying a trophy shop ?
provided they do hand engraving. Most trophy shops would do machine or laser engraving.

A good weapon engraver is experienced in techniques also not often (or any longer) used by most modern saxophone engravers by using the burin free hand in sgraffito like the one used by R&C in the “ due voci” allowing for figure engraving rather than the most common floral one made with the alternating technique used by the majority.

Some great machine engraving can also be done. I have bought once 3 beautiful horns which were engraved with an eagle in minute details the black tenor went to Hans Dulfer, father of Candy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts