Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of research I have decided to buy a Ponzol SS M2 plus for my Tenor. If it's too bright I might need to exchange it for an M2.

I know that Musicians Friends/WWBW list these, but can't really tell if they are in stock and I don't want to wait a long time. I would prefer to deal with a smaller operation if possible. Any pointers?

Bob

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
1,325 Posts
Go to the wwbw site and find the item description for the piece. There you will find a drop down menu for each facing. Click on the facing you want and it will tell you whether the piece is in stock or not.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,887 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, it's in-stock at Musicians Friends so I guess I'll just go there.

I am replacing a Brilhart Level-air (tip-opening 6) from the 50's, which is in pretty poor shape, but I always liked the tone, which is quite bright without being shrill. So I am biased towards steel mouthpieces. But I wonder if anyone has played both the Level-air and the Ponzol SS M2 and M2 plus, and could comment on relative brightness. Also, it seems like most people order the 110 opening on the Ponzols; how would this compare with my current setup?

I play both Rock and Jazz, so I need to compete with guitars etc, and for Jazz gigs I can always roll out my "dark" Mark 6 to tame the brightness.

Thanks for any pointers!

Bob

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
I used to own a 5 Levelaire, but I didn't get much sound out of it. I do own an SS 110 M2 and have trialed the M2+. I prefered the M2, it wasn't as bright. The M2 can be made to be brighter or darker, depending on reed choice. I would suggest the .100 size as the M2 is quite a jump from your Brilhart. You can order more than one mouthpiece on trial if you desire. If the .100 is too small for you, try the .105.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
After a lot of research I have decided to buy a Ponzol SS M2 plus for my Tenor. If it's too bright I might need to exchange it for an M2.

I know that Musicians Friends/WWBW list these, but can't really tell if they are in stock and I don't want to wait a long time. I would prefer to deal with a smaller operation if possible. Any pointers?

Bob
Junkdude?

https://www.junkdude.com/ProductGroup.aspx?group=saxophone and clarinet mouthpieces&id_prodcat=39

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Do NOT trust the internet software to tell you definitely whether or not an item is in stock. The info sometimes lags or other mistakes are made and you're sitting around for days, maybe even months wondering what happened. Telephone the salesclerk and hold their feet to the fire on giving you an up-to-date answer. BTW Raphyel here on SOTW has sold these in the past as a Ponzol distributor. You might want to contact him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts