Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has come up here and there in a few of my past threads, but wondering if we can all put in one thread the best places to buy horns and have shipped to USA.

I do know of:

sax.co.uk
Thomman
gear4music (no Selmer Paris)

I think there was at least one other in Denmark or Holland maybe?

When i have the list i will do a comparison with a couple models for all to see.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Well of course we have Matthew's in the NL

https://www.matthewsmuziek.nl

Which has had many favorable reviews by several members some of whom have visited and got to know the family run shop very well. They sell all major brands ( Selmer, Yamaha, Yanagisawa, Keilwerth, Rampone & Cazzani, Buffet) and have also their own Taiwanese made line of saxophones.

The owner is American and has been one of the first people to understand the advantage of selling overseas and lot limiting themselves to their neighborhood.

Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
I'm not sure if they still do it, but Woodwind and Brass Ltd used to offer a big discount for overseas sales. This would be in addition to the fact that 20% VAT is not applied and the exchange rate right now is very good for people using currencies other than GBP.

They did that discount because realistically they knew there were less likely to be returns from overseas buyers. A very good policy IMO.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
All prices outside the EU (very soon also in the UK :( ) are without VAT

Registered
I bought a new YTS-62 from Matthews years ago. Horn came in beautifully set up and was priced several hundred dollars less than at my local big-box store.

(And they put a little pair of ceramic shoes in the case.)

All prices outside the EU (very soon also in the UK :( ) are without VAT
I don鈥檛 think anyone really knows what will happen

Right now I have to charge VAT to non B2B sales to UK and all other EU countries but not rest of the world.

I imagine after Brexit (if there is no eu deal) UK VAT will remain but only charged within the UK.

However EU countries would probably pay their own VAT on import.

But this is all speculation we don鈥檛 know about other Possible trade deals.

Distinguished SOTW Member
Is there still SAXOFOONWINKEL (excuse my spelling) in The Netherlands? And how about Howarths in London and Myatt's outside of London? DAVE

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pulling together a spreadsheet with some VERY interesting results.
What i have already learned....the price is NOT the price until in the cart!
Some sites, the price drops even further once the USA address is added to the calculations.
Will also include reference prices for wwbw in the US for comparison.

Added Mattewsmusik, thanks for the reminder, I couldnt remember this one!

Registered
If you found a better deal in the US, would you still shop overseas?

Perhaps not, so my suggestion might be to form a comprehensive list including US dealers such as saxforte, Kessler and Quinn who publish their significant discounts. I've had fabulous experiences with new horns from all three.

Having said that, in the past month I've saved about 20% on transactions from $350 to $5000 with Matthew's Musiek in NL, so +2 to prior comments. By email they are responsive, friendly, helpful and extremely knowledgable. The only downside is transit of 10-14 days with standard shipping (do not know uncharge for faster), while sax.co.uk can deliver same week.

If you found a better deal in the US, would you still shop overseas?
If I found a better deal in the US but I didn't live there, then I probably would shop overseas (ie the US). But it's worth taking any return policy into account, cost of return shipping etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure if they still do it, but Woodwind and Brass Ltd used to offer a big discount for overseas sales. This would be in addition to the fact that 20% VAT is not applied and the exchange rate right now is very good for people using currencies other than GBP.

They did that discount because realistically they knew there were less likely to be returns from overseas buyers. A very good policy IMO.
They don't have all the models I put in my spreadsheet, but WOW, they are lowest for what they have, by a long long long shot so far!

Registered
better deal in the US but I didn't live there
Absolutely. I was keyed on OP's "buy horns and have shipped to USA" as suggesting he was referring to folks buying from the US.

I'd think nearly impossible to make a discount vendor list applicable to buying from all countries what with VAT and so on.

Even within the US, some states collect sales tax prior to delivery for out-of-state (or out-of-country) purchases, others do not.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Peter what do you know about this shop?
Good place? On same level as the others mentioned here?
They seem to have only old model Yani's, and no Ref 36/54, but my goodness the prices on what they have are nuts (cheap)!

They don't have all the models I put in my spreadsheet, but WOW, they are lowest for what they have, by a long long long shot so far!
Peter what do you know about this shop?
Good place? On same level as the others mentioned here?
They seem to have only old model Yani's, and no Ref 36/54, but my goodness the prices on what they have are nuts (cheap)!
Good people, bad website. They can often get stuff that they don't actually advertise so it's worth contacting them and asking.

It is a small online mail order and distribution business, no physical store.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment sax comparison prices to US.pdf

Here is what i have found so far....

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read all notes up front, as there are many things to consider other than price and are important!
Buying from overseas does incur some risk
This is a comparison exercise only.

Exchange rates were pulled today.
All info was taken and readily available online.

Happy to add others that are reco'ed.

Registered
View attachment 242122

Here is what i have found so far....

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read all notes up front, as there are many things to consider other than price and are important!
Buying from overseas does incur some risk
This is a comparison exercise only.

Exchange rates were pulled today.
All info was taken and readily available online.

Happy to add others that are reco'ed.
Wow, some amazing differences..

Premium Member
I don鈥檛 think anyone really knows what will happen

Right now I have to charge VAT to non B2B sales to UK and all other EU countries but not rest of the world.

I imagine after Brexit (if there is no eu deal) UK VAT will remain but only charged within the UK.

However EU countries would probably pay their own VAT on import.

But this is all speculation we don鈥檛 know about other Possible trade deals.
If I sell out of the UK, I charge vat to ALL private customers worldwide except for duty free places like Gibraltar and Hong Kong.

It鈥檚 only businesses that I don鈥檛 add vat which are overseas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts