Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a college music major, in the market to buy a tenor. Unfortunately, being in college, and, a music major, my budget is not huge. I understand the value of buying quality instruments, but this is a purchase I must make in the next couple months. Looking in the $500ish range, appearance doesn't matter, I'm all about how a horn plays and feels. I do have experience repadding, replacing corks and springs, regulating, etc. and feel comfortable working on a horn myself. I play vintage horns often and love them.

A trusted sax shop has:
YTS-31
Vito (Assembled in Kenosha, WI)

Searching through threads, I've found these as possibilities (altho in some cases I'd have to get very lucky to fit budget):
YTS-23
Selmer Bundy I
Buescher Aristrocrat
Martin Indiana
Conn 10M (late 50s, early 60s)

1. Are there any other models you'd recommend I'd look for?
2. Where should I be looking? (Ebay, Craiglist, Garage Sales, etc.)
3. Am I being realistic in my budget?
4. Maybe rank some of the models I've posted by what you'd consider best?

Thanks a lot!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,023 Posts
rs1sensen said:
Looking in the $500ish range, appearance doesn't matter, I'm all about how a horn plays and feels. I do have experience repadding, replacing corks and springs, regulating, etc. and feel comfortable working on a horn myself. I play vintage horns often and love them.

Searching through threads, I've found these as possibilities (altho in some cases I'd have to get very lucky to fit budget):
YTS-23
Selmer Bundy I
Buescher Aristrocrat
Martin Indiana
Conn 10M (late 50s, early 60s)
From that list, the Conn 10M and Aristocrat (series 1, Big B/156) stand head & shoulders above the others (with the possible exception of the Martin). You'd be hard-pressed to find one of those for $500, unless it needed a total overhaul. But you could get lucky.....

I don't know a lot about the different Martin models, but a "The Martin" is reputed to be a great horn. Still, your budget might be too low for that one.

If you really know how to overhaul a horn, that's a different matter. You might look for an e-bay special on a 10M, Aristocrat, or Martin that will definitely need work. Good luck, and I hope you find a good one.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I know about a few cheap Tenors. All vintage.
They need abit of work. WHich you said yourself that you could do.
2 bueschers, and a Conn Pan American.
PM me if you are intersted. And I will take some pictures for you.

·
Banned
624 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
You can get a YTS-23 for around $400 on E-bay. It's a solid inexpensive horn that should do the job. Vintage horns are cool but can be in serious disrepair so buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I'd go for either a used YTS-23 or a relacquered/worn Martin Indiana. Both of those should be in spitting distance of $500 and are respectable (I've heard especially nice things about the Indiana - and have also heard that the earlier the model, the better). The Conn 10M and Buescher would be less likely to be in your price range, I would think (unless they needed substantial work).

Try some dealers in addition to eBay. Junkdude, Worldwidesax, and Tenor Madness occasionally carry used YTS-23s or Martin Indianas.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a 1961 10M tenor I just received today that I'll probably be listing very soon in the for sale section. If you're interested, let me know via PM. Let me just mention, that this is the second late Conn 10M tenor I've owned, and both have been great horns; if I weren't already so pleased with a couple of other (much more expensive) tenors, I probably wouldn't sell it. Even if you're not interested in the one I have, definitely keep an eye out for them, they're one of the few remaining steals in the vintage tenor market.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,023 Posts
AmSaxPlayer said:
I have a 1961 10M tenor I just received today that I'll probably be listing very soon in the for sale section. If you're interested, let me know via PM..
So you are selling it for $500?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
If you know how to spot a Martin stencil horn (look for beveled tone holes), Handcraft stencils can be found well within your range. Hold out for one with a front F though. Once I just missed out on a The Martin tenor selling for $500 on Craig's List (and most probably with original lacquer). So such deals can be had...

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys! I'm going to take a look at AmSaxPlayer's 10M. There were a couple interesting Bueschers, but for the price I might end up going with my fav. sax shop's YTS-31.

If anyone has any more comments or ideas, please post!

·
Registered
268 Posts
JL said:
So you are selling it for $500?
I'm going to give rs1sensen first crack at it, but if he's not interested I'll probably be listing it Friday, I'm asking a little more than $500, but certainly $500-ish :D

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just for those following the thread...we'll call it "Sale Pending" with AmSaxPlayer. Just took a look at some pics of the horn, am waiting for a reply from my tech to see what he thinks and quote the cost of some pads and felts. Also taking a look at the 'ole bank account, but man, it's a pretty strong case of GAS. If I do decide against it, it will be clear by Friday evening.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I haven't examined AmSaxPlayer's specific horn, but I have a later model 10M in my collection (a 1967) and give it top marks. If all is as it should be with this horn, you should be very happy indeed.

Cheers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you do not want to risk a used horn that is not up to par. Check out Kessler's music and look at their custom tenors. I bought one for my son and was extremely surprised at the quality, sound and intonation. (all very good.) Call Dave and he will help you out. The Custom tenors are $895 shipped and one of the best deals for a new horn out there.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Dave dix said:
Its a sears horn made by buescher, good horns but about the same as a 30A elkhart by buescher. Try this 1959 martin indiana http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-THE-IND...5QQihZ007QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dave
I have played just about all the horns the OP listed at some time. My Martin Indiana alto (55') sounds and plays fantastic, so if I were you (rs1,) I might go after the Indiana tenor. My alto can be real sweet, sultry, silky, and sexy and I think a student Yamaha might be a little more generic/modern sounding.

imo, a 10M is a powerful and versatile jazz tenor and Buescher Big B is dark sounding and well-made, a little more refined so better for classical. From my experience I would think all three choices would be good if you want to go vintage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts