Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are 6 solos and one great jam from the 1960's.

But this is only a start to the conversation, with so many great players from these times, including Ace Cannon, Gene Barge, J.T. Brown, Bobby Forte, Jim Horn, Fred Lipsius, Johnnie Paris, Denis Payton, A.C. Reed, Buddy Savitt and George Young (on so many hits from Cameo-Parkway records), Eddie Shaw, Nino Tempo...to name just a very few.

A question has been asked, are the selections in this survey mine? The answer is "No". Back in 2007 when we were putting together the Blues, R&B, Rock n' Roll Teaching Resource, an informal survey was done about great players and great solos, especially those that may not be as well known as they should. Those answers helped to identify the players named in Part Two of the Introduction to the Teaching Resource, as well as solos such as Lionel Torrence's and on Nappy Brown's "Don't Get Angry". Those answers are the foundation for these threads.

- J.C. Davis- 1:30, 2:23 mark- 1961

- Plas Johnson- 1:07 mark- 1962

-Lionel Torrence- :01, 1:38- (aka Lionel Prevost)- 1962

-King Curtis- 1962

-Boots Randolph- 59 mark- 1964

-Junior Walker-1965

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And the great jam...
- Buddy Lucas- 1:27, 2:12, 2:41, 3:01, 3:45- 1962

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,175 Posts
There's no way I can choose between jr Walker and King Curtis!
I have the same problem. Shotgun is iconic. I still refuse to play a cover version because it will always pale in comparison to the master. And Junior Walker's tone is to die for. He has a soul cry built into his sound. But when King Curtis finally comes in for his solo on Memphis Soul Stew, it still sends chills through me and makes my hair stand up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,672 Posts
That’s what makes my pick Lionel Torrence. All 3 are still really good stuff.

·
Registered
259 Posts

Well, Walker got these great dancing individuals in his video...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts