Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-Junior Walker- 1970

-King Curtis- 5:24 mark- 1971

-Wild Bill Moore (who helped usher in rock n' roll in 1948)- 1971- 1:53, 2:26 mark

-Maceo Parker- 6:06 mark- 1973

-Bobby Keys- 1:01, 1:33, 2:10. 2:41 marks- 1974

-Edgar Winter- 3:24 mark- 1974 Jon R. Smith drew my attention to this great solo by Edgar Winter, during our interview for SOTW.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,016 Posts
The original recording of Memphis Soul Stew was in 1967.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,016 Posts
No mention of Bobby Keys, Rolling Stones, "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"?

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
Yes, very good energy.

2 really truly classic sax solos of the 70's that jump out first TO ME, would be:

JUST THE WAY YOU ARE and BORN TO RUN.

I say this because both are solos that you can sing from beginning to end, and when played at a gig, people EXPECT to hear the original solos, because they are so memorable and legendary, note for note.
Not jam-it-out type solos, but they almost sound written out because they are so perfect in those songs.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,888 Posts
Nice! The Edgar Winter was a surprise ! Of course Maceo, but if you're doing R&B you have to open it up to players like Stanley Turrentine, and, ahem, Ronnie Cuber.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,920 Posts
Have to go with Junior in this bunch.

Here is my toss in the pile for this weeks suggestion. https://youtu.be/X-BJVDuP9dI Pick Up The Pieces by the Average White Band.

Interesting observation to this time period of hardware.
Bowie (ZooTheSim video)has a mic in his neck. King Curtis as well as Roger Ball and Malcolm Duncan from the Average White band.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts