Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,350 Posts
I was always taught - the best note for saxophones is The Saxophone's written F

The F on the saxophone is very much the center of the instrument's stack of keys and incorporates the lower stack as well. It's G is close but doesnt incorporate the lower stack.

And now lets hear from everybody who is gonna dissagree with me...........
:)

Remember justifications can be created for tuning to any note - this is just mine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
ty for your help unlike the previous child.
You tend to go sharp if you've got your panties in a bunch when you tune.

I saw a great article somewhere (I can't find it again) that said it's best to tune to low B on the horn, the rationale being that once that squirrely note is in tune, it's easier to play the rest of the horn in tune without pinching up the embouchure.

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,104 Posts
I was always taught - the best note for saxophones is The Saxophone's written F

And now lets hear from everybody who is gonna dissagree with me...........
:)
Not me, Ab concert is also a fine note.

hi pete in sunny s,hampton.does this mean Bb with the korg tuner?
Yes, but I don't advise tuning up to a tuner (unless you do it without looking at the tuner). I think it's best to use your ear to tune to a note on a keyboard (as long as the keyboard is in tune of course)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not me, Ab concert is also a fine note.

Yes, but I don't advise tuning up to a tuner (unless you do it without looking at the tuner). I think it's best to use your ear to tune to a note on a keyboard (as long as the keyboard is in tune of course)
tyvm,you have been a great help.the tuner can do ones head in.best in the drawer in the off position.my sax tends to be more in tune when warmed up.is this normal.?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
tyvm,you have been a great help.the tuner can do ones head in.best in the drawer in the off position.my sax tends to be more in tune when warmed up.is this normal.?
yes its normal

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
752 Posts
Mally,
I've only been a member here for about a year, but I have learned that there are a lot of lovable wackos here. Don't get your feeling hurt or you'll never have any fun. Just sharpen up your wit. Your turn will come.:D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
752 Posts
Also, I was glad to hear Pete's advice on the tuner. As a comeback player, I've been driving myself nuts (and wearing all the cork off my neck) trying to get that little needle in the middle up and down the scale. Except now I guess I'll have to buy a keyboard.:cry:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
800 Posts
And after all, martysax's lovably wackable point does make a certain amount of sense. You should have all of your notes in tune, and the best way to do that is to use your ears with the combo you are with.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
20,083 Posts
I usually tune to concert A in octaves, then just listen to the band to be sure I'm blending well.
If things get a little out of whack I can adjust as needed on the fly.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.