Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My go to repair tech retired several years ago. I have taken my horns to a local place and been relatively happy with the work and prices, but.... just got a 224xxx series The Martin tenor. two white pads with flat resos, the rest have none. It plays quite well, projects etc, and the action feels quite good, except for a couple minor things. 1. LH pinky cluster, G# key spring is pretty stiff and pushes back strong. 2. there is occasionaly metallic sound from side Bb, its there then it's not. and 3. harmonics just do not want to speak. I can use the same various set ups on my Indiana and have no issue (not that my altissimo even really exists past F#3. LOL) I can only get it out on The Martin with Forked F, RH1 and Side Bb, 1 and 1 doesn't work, and even the other fingering it's touchy. Like I said both fingerings work fine on the Indiana.

I'm thinking its a leak somewhere, but there isn't much above the F palm key. Neck fits nice and tight. Not sure I want a full repad, because the action is very fluid, but realize that might have to happen sooner than I thought. In the meantime I have gone back to the Indiana since I know it will respond when I ask it to. ;) Thoughts, recommendations? If you know NJ, I live in Burlington County and work in Mercer. Thanks!

M

·
0 Posts
Bill Singer is in both NJ and NY. He is considered one of the best in the US. Dave Sanborn uses him almost weekly for keeping his horn in top playing shape. Search the web for him and you will get his contact info. He's a really nice guy and really cares for every player he deals with. I believe he is in West Orange, NJ if that helps.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,211 Posts
My go to repair tech retired several years ago. I have taken my horns to a local place and been relatively happy with the work and prices, but.... just got a 224xxx series The Martin tenor. two white pads with flat resos, the rest have none. It plays quite well, projects etc, and the action feels quite good, except for a couple minor things. 1. LH pinky cluster, G# key spring is pretty stiff and pushes back strong. 2. there is occasionaly metallic sound from side Bb, its there then it's not. and 3. harmonics just do not want to speak. I can use the same various set ups on my Indiana and have no issue (not that my altissimo even really exists past F#3. LOL) I can only get it out on The Martin with Forked F, RH1 and Side Bb, 1 and 1 doesn't work, and even the other fingering it's touchy. Like I said both fingerings work fine on the Indiana.

I'm thinking its a leak somewhere, but there isn't much above the F palm key. Neck fits nice and tight. Not sure I want a full repad, because the action is very fluid, but realize that might have to happen sooner than I thought. In the meantime I have gone back to the Indiana since I know it will respond when I ask it to. ;) Thoughts, recommendations? If you know NJ, I live in Burlington County and work in Mercer. Thanks!
I've been bringing all my horns to John Ashcraft (in Pennington- Mercer county where you work!) forever- he does amazing work and very reasonable prices. Let me know if you need his contact info- he works out of his own shop.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
Since you have two Martin tenors, you can simply compare them to see which one leaks (the most), as no horn is usually perfect using this simple DIY test. 10 minutes and you will know if The Martin has more leakage than the Indiana. Sometimes you can even mess around with various keys during the test and find the pad(s) that isn't sitting right.

A clicking side Bb is often a sign of wear in the little key tube, allowing the pad to sit down slightly different at times. A frustrating source of intermittent leakage. Lift the key cup and wiggle it. Also, pinch the key rod and wiggle up and down. You may find your click and which part needs swedging.

No ideas on NJ tech, but a good tech is a good tech. By definition, a good tech isn't Martin specific, IMHO.

Mark

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
FWIW, the altissimo on my '42 Handcraft is different than my '54 Comm particularly with what happens when you use RH 1&2 in the fingering. But you should be able to use just Front F, slide 'C' up to the bis for F# and then lift the bis for G.

Also, see if you can find your way up to high F# or G with fingering the root note normally.

Good luck with the horn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts