Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All :
I am looking for a New Tenor Sax. I am returning after 37 years and after a chinese student model sax I want a more "professional" sax . My budget is $1500.., but it could go ...until $2000 if the horn is very good quality...what do you recommend me ?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am returning after 37 years
Welcome back to the world of sax playing! I also, in 2008, returned to playing sax after a 37 year hiatus. I enjoy and appreciate playing now a lot more than before and it is my primary activity now that I am retired. I don't know if there are many music stores where you live but if there are, I would greatly suggest you go and try out as many saxes as possible to find out which sax is best FOR YOU. There is no such thing as "one sax which fits all" even though a lot of people on this site would try to have you believe that. You may want to take a look at SOTW member Stephen Howard's excellent recent book "Haynes' Saxophone Manual." It has a very informative chapter devoted to choosing and buying saxes.

When I went back to playing, I knew absolutely nothing about the different sax brands. I just went into a music store which had a lot of saxes and tried all of them. I ended up getting a Cannonball Alcazar student model tenor which I adored. I just recently upgraded to a Cannonball Raven professional tenor. This is not to say that Cannonballs are right for you. Again, you have to try different ones first. If you cannot do that, I would suggest ordering a new sax from dealers who would allow you a try-out period after purchasing. I know CE Winds, which has highly reputable saxes, has a 14 day try-out period. If you don't like it, just return it within 14 days. Other highly reputable saxes which are very reasonably priced (but whose return polices are unknown to me) are Phil Barone, Kessler & Sons, and Balhaus Walstein, among others.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Check the TK MELODY YARDBIRD UL TENOR ON SALE $1500.00 NEW WITH FLIGHT CASE. viking-instruments.com 845-361-9353 Thanks Rich Maraday:mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
8,205 Posts
I too was looking for a good horn for around $1500. I ended up with a MacSax Classic and I ended up not with a great horn for about $1500, but simply a great horn.

I had Mike put two coats of silver-colored nickel on it and no lacquer. The tone is great, the intonation is way better than my old Mark VI or Couf and it's very sturdy in build.

pictures are here:
http://www.nortonmusic.com/macsax.html

Notes

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
(Stunning pix, Mr. Norton!)

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Before you decide I suggest you check out Bauhaus Deluxe Bronze tenor for about 1100 Cdn $ or the Professional M2 Lacquer model for about $1800 cdn As you are not living in the USA you might try Larsen Music

www.larsenmusic.ca or in the UK Woodwinds and Brass Larsen are great guys to deal with and they can make arrangements with someone local to do a setup once it arrives. I have bought horns from them and had good expereinces. Shipping a horn that far regardless of how well it's packed could well need a few minor adjustments. Currency exchange differences could well save you some $$

The M2 lacquer is great tenor regardless of price. The Bronze deluxe gives excellent value for money and is a little darker sounding and has good action although not as smooth as the M2. Steve Howard the author of the Haynes Sax Manual and who posts here has done reviews on these horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,352 Posts
Humbardi....just so we can get this question over with...may I ask:

....why Brand-New ?

I see you are in VZ, so perhaps there is not a big market of used horns there. I ask only because $1500 can get you a vintage professional instrument, a classic, legendary, top-shelf model horn. If your intent was buying on internet, so the horn was to be shipped to you anyway...perhaps looking at a used horn would also be a consideration.

Not to digress the thread, because the replies have been pretty interesting, so far...but I was just wondering.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,455 Posts
Gads! The OP is in Venezula! I was going to settle things by suggesting a Kessler Custom Deluxe tenor . But, don't know how to get it there.

Hey, they might be able to ship! Check this link out:

Kessler's International Shipping

Okay, yeah I'm biased. I have one that is four years old and it's been a great horn.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Go for the Barone, either classic or vintage models. My vintage model is definitely a lifetime's worth of horn, plus they're easy to play.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,836 Posts
Definitely the Barone Classic; you will not find a better horn for that money. Plus it comes with a hand-faced professional hard rubber mouthpiece and a fantastic quality flight case.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
77 Posts
Definitely the Barone Classic; you will not find a better horn for that money. Plus it comes with a hand-faced professional hard rubber mouthpiece and a fantastic quality flight case.

- Saxaholic
I have to agree - a Barone Classic is a lot of horn for the money and for a little more dough ($1700+ and change) even more go in the Barone Vintage and still under 2 large, your top limit.

Conversely, you've already been waiting 37 years so take a month or two to study SOTW and play everything you can around town. The horn with you need will find you.

Trust your gut and good luck!

GPD

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
For $1500 - $2000, you could find a lightly used Yamaha or Yanagisawa that will make a great horn and be better than any 'new' horn you buy in that price range and should last the test of time.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,836 Posts
For $1500 - $2000, you could find a lightly used Yamaha or Yanagisawa that will make a great horn and be better than any 'new' horn you buy in that price range and should last the test of time.
This is a matter of player opinion. Do not take it as fact.

There is a Barone Vintage Tenor in new condition in the "Horns for Sale" section for $1600 I think. Can't get much better than that.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts