Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey gang!

i'm looking for a quality music stand that is both sturdy (not easily bent or toppled) and largely collapsible (i.e. could be reasonably attached to something like a gator GL case or the like). I play in a funk band with an alto & tenor, so i want something that doesn't add much to my gear bulk, but that will also do the job on a crowded stage and with a rowdy audience.

any recommendations are greatly appreciated! thanks!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've been using a Manhasset Voyager along with it's matching gig bag with shoulder strap. It sets up fast, tears down quickly and is fairly stable. I use it at home, rehearsals and gigs.

There is a quick release to detach the music holder from the stand. The legs and stand fold compactly and slide into a sleeve in the gig bag. The music tray also slides into the gig bag, leaving plenty of room for my music folder, and it zips closed. I typically carry it using the shoulder strap leaving my hands free for other gear.

·
Registered
647 Posts

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
I use the AxMan folding stand. It's one piece and very sturdy. The other choices are good, but the desk itself folds in half on the axman.

I did a search, and it seems that it may be out of production.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use a Petersen folding stand.

I like the design due to the folding, solid desk and sturdy legs. It adjusts well and breaks down to a manageable size, although one does feel like they are assembling a sniper rifle out of a James Bond movie at times.

Not too expensive either....I've seen them under $35 before.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
DJ TJ said:
I've been using a Manhasset Voyager along with it's matching gig bag with shoulder strap. It sets up fast, tears down quickly and is fairly stable..
Me too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,310 Posts
I hunted down a Hercules stand after being very satisfied with the same make bari stand.

Folds down well - the top portion detaches & folds in half. Has built in music retainers - very well thought out & durable.

·
Registered
291 Posts
DJ TJ said:
I've been using a Manhasset Voyager along with it's matching gig bag with shoulder strap. It sets up fast, tears down quickly and is fairly stable. I use it at home, rehearsals and gigs.

There is a quick release to detach the music holder from the stand. The legs and stand fold compactly and slide into a sleeve in the gig bag. The music tray also slides into the gig bag, leaving plenty of room for my music folder, and it zips closed. I typically carry it using the shoulder strap leaving my hands free for other gear.
I too use the Manhasset Voyager. Works great.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
It is probably better to learn the charts and leave the music stand at home. Groups always sound better when they don't have their heads stuck in the paper. Like you said, it's only a funk band, so it shouldn't be hard to learn the charts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,370 Posts
DJ TJ said:

One more vote for the voyager. And one more post on my quest for 10,000

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
I've gone and bought a Rat 'Jazz Stand' as a couple of rhythm section players use them - very convenient as there's nothing to do up or undo (and no stripped threads or lost screws), the base folds down as does the desk (which has an extra built-in shelf below the music rest for all the stuff that would otherwise get kicked around the floor or trodden on, such as reeds and mouthpiece caps) and the telescopic stem will set to any height you need it to.

http://www.chamberlainmusic.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=RAT-69Q1

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
21" check w/ James Grongin at wwbw.com. His ext is 2205 if you call the 800 number. I think mine is the link I showed. Models could of changed. I will look for a model number on my stand.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I cannot find a model number on it!!!

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
hakukani said:
I use the AxMan folding stand. It's one piece and very sturdy. The other choices are good, but the desk itself folds in half on the axman.

I did a search, and it seems that it may be out of production.
Same here. I never use a stand in performance, just rehearsal, came with a little carry bag too. I got if from Musiciansfriend.com but like Hak said, they seem to be history.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Voyager for me, too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts