Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just ran my line out from my wireless receiver straight into the line in of the me-80 and it worked great.
OK, that is great news! im using a wired shure 57 with xlr. is youre wireless a quarter inch? would i need to use an adapter, or just pick up a wireless mic as well?

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,081 Posts
I want to experiment with sending my wireless sax mic into an effects box and then out to mixer/PA/powered speakers. I just read about somebody using a Zoom guitar effects pedal that sounded fun. One model is $50 and there are others for more money. In the past, I've heard about the TC Helicon vocal effects processor and some others. Any SOTW-ers use an effects box or pedal and what do you think about it? Pros and cons? Cost? etc. Do they work with a simple bypass switch so I can stomp on the box and play with effects, then stomp and play without? Any comments appreciated.
I did the multi-efx units until I discovered pedals! I like being able to stomp on an effect when I need it. I loop through several pedals for the sound I want and then use a switch pedal to control the loops. I have found loop pedals are great for playing by yourself, I can recommend chorus, delay and reverb as a basic set up. I also have a Qtron envelope filter for wah and some organ sounds when run with other pedals. My next investment is the Seamoon Envelope filter which is what the Brecker Brothers used.

Reactions: ZootTheSim

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
OK, that is great news! im using a wired shure 57 with xlr. is youre wireless a quarter inch? would i need to use an adapter, or just pick up a wireless mic as well?
You can get a XLR to High Z adapter. I used a sennheiser vocal mic with the same FX unit and it worked just as well. Going from mic to the unit using the adpater.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Not a cheap option but a Helix Floor has a mic pre built in has a nice looper, tons of effects options with performance control.
I use them for guitar and bass but plan to experiment with some split path options with a mic

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Anyone try the new Chase Bliss Blooper yet? Another somewhat costly option that also has a lot of cool effects, and is put out by a really innovative group. I'm keen to give it a whirl, but will need to save up some scratch first.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I did the multi-efx units until I discovered pedals! I like being able to stomp on an effect when I need it.
+1. More and more, I likewise find myself preferring single stomp boxes to multifx units or software solutions.

Some really deep pedals (e.g. the Tensor or Syntax Error) still work best with additional software-based midi control, which I manage using the TouchOSC app for iPhone or iPad mini. But it's a bit of a pain to set up and requires extra boxes and wires, which is both cool and annoying.

Over the holidays, as a gift to myself for getting through the awful year that was 2020, I added a Strymon Rex (Leslie cabinet sim) and Hungry Robot Wardenclyffe to my board. Also, a new board, since the old one's full. The Lex is great for that Ventures, Grateful Dead, or Climax Blues Band vibe, or just for playing along to Clapton or Gilmour or Harrison or any old bluesy or psychedelic rock.

I'm still negotiating with the Wardenclyffe. It sounds great with my WX11, but is relatively subtle, and my current setup (i.e. gf working from home) doesn't allow me to blast my monitor to really hear what's going on when playing sax. Monitored at low volumes, this pedal just makes my horn sound desafinado, and not artfully so.

My cheap makeshift in-ear monitoring kludge helps a bit, as does chaining the Wardenclyffe to the Lo-FI Delay patch on my Zoom MS-50G. As far as multifx boxes go, the Zoom's really versatile and sounds pretty good, though if I'm not careful it can introduce problems into my chain, e.g. noise or tone suck or infinite sustain. These days, I'm mainly using it to decide which dedicated fx box to buy next.

That said, there are still a couple multi-fx boxes on my GAS list:

Chase Bliss Audio Thermae
Red Panda Particle or Malekko Charlie Foxtrot
CBA Warped Vinyl, SolidGoldFX NU-33 or the upcoming Wardenclyffe Deluxe
Empress Echosystem
Industrialectric Degrader
EQD Avalanche Run
Caroline Météore
Oceans 12
Cooper FX Arcades (with e.g. lofi, reverb, delay, gen loss, & grain cards)

I'm also considering trying out some variety of cheap modulated chorus pedal, if anyone has suggestions. . . . .

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Update: I ended up grabbing a NU-33 a few months back, which seems to check more boxes than the Wardenclyffe. Also recently picked up a Morley Bad Horsie Steve Vai II wah pedal, after enjoying the autowah on my Zoom MS-50G. It's a whole lot of funky, though will take some practice to use effectively.

But the pedal I'm really excited about is my new used EHX Deluxe Memory Man 1100TT analog delay. I was holding out for a DOD Rubberneck, then saw this DMM nearby at a great price, so grabbed it.

The Eccos digital delay (and even the Zoom) are still way more versatile and easy to use, what with presets and midi and such. Still, the Eccos flanged delays, while great for blues or funk, aren't quite as versatile tonally as the DMM. And the DMM's modulation is almost woozy enough to sub in for the NU-33.

It's touchy, though--not much headroom, and it clips if I dial in too much gain or add too much modulation before it, while the Eccos can take whatever you throw at it. The DMM's switches aren't soft either, which is a minor bummer.

My next challenge will be finding some cool pedals to put in the DMM's effect loop, which should add a whole new level of crazy.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I've managed to dial in the gain, rate and depth on my new old DMM so that it doesn't clip when external modulation fx are added to the chain. Tried it after a rotary and wah, and even added a harmonizer and the Tensor tape effect into the mix, and it still handled the signal ok.

The delays aren't necessarily pretty with all that dirt up front, but at least it doesn't clip. I also have to work on my wah technique, which turns out to be a minor challenge in itself.

When I first started using pedals, I envied guitarists for the ability to go 100% wet. But I've since come to appreciate that my dry tone can always be prominently in the mix if I want it there, even at a very large or loud venue.

Now to decide which pedal to sacrifice to the DMM's own dedicated fx loop. Probably best to start with the Zoom to see which class of effect works best in the repeats.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've managed to dial in the gain, rate and depth on my new old DMM so that it doesn't clip when external modulation fx are added to the chain. Tried it after a rotary and wah, and even added a harmonizer and the Tensor tape effect into the mix, and it still handled the signal ok.

The delays aren't necessarily pretty with all that dirt up front, but at least it doesn't clip. I also have to work on my wah technique, which turns out to be a minor challenge in itself.

When I first started using pedals, I envied guitarists for the ability to go 100% wet. But I've since come to appreciate that my dry tone can always be prominently in the mix if I want it there, even at a very large or loud venue.

Now to decide which pedal to sacrifice to the DMM's own dedicated fx loop. Probably best to start with the Zoom to see which class of effect works best in the repeats.
What’s your pedal board look like at the moment?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
What’s your pedal board look like at the moment?
A hot mess. Needs some tidying, but I'm in the process of swapping out different boxes to see what works best. Also need some new flat cables to squeeze everything in.

·
Registered
730 Posts
A hot mess. Needs some tidying, but I'm in the process of swapping out different boxes to see what works best. Also need some new flat cables to squeeze everything in.

View attachment 108367 .
Awesome! A bigger pedal board maybe? 😊

How do you like the Tensor, the Lex and the Syntax Error?

I’m building my board at the moment, just ordered a Particle V2 and I’m using the Voco Loco as input. Also have a Seamoon pedal, planning on using a Boss GT1000 Core for some simple delay, reverb, maybe distortion? A lot of these are also going to be used with guitar.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Awesome! A bigger pedal board maybe? 😊
Heh, well, the stages we play (if we ever play again) tend to be pretty crowded, which is why I picked up the Nano in the first place, though I eventually added a Nano Plus for overflow. It's a good setup because you can take just one board along as a fly rig, and if you do need both, they can be arranged in a line, in rows, or on an angle to fit the space available. I have considered getting a third Nano for home use, though.

The Voco Loco is basically the same as my Mixing Link, but made in Canada. There's a new pre-amp just for horns, the Zorg Blow!, but it's not widely available here yet.

I'm envious of your Particle 2, which has been on my list for some time. In fact, it was in my cart, but I swapped it for a Tensor at the last minute. The Tensor's one of my coolest pedals, though also one of the hardest to use with a band. Mine has the firmware update for longer looping time.

The Lex is really nice for playing along to the Ventures, Traffic or the Climax Blues Band, or really any soul jazz or psychedelia, and fun with an expression pedal. It can send my delays into self-oscillation, though, so has to be used judiciously. I'm planning to pick up a dual expression pedal with reverse polarity to ramp down the Lex while ramping up the delay.

Syntax Error is another weird and versatile one. It bumped my ring mod, though I never really use that effect. The Midi Mongoose adds tons of presets to the Syntax Error, which makes it more usable, but that setup takes a whole lot more real estate. It'll probably come in handy when I finally get around to composing my sci-fi rock opera for saxophone.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Should add that I'm running everything in mono through a single Roland keyboard amp, but the Lex and Eccos in particular would probably sound really groovy in stereo. Have been meaning to try them both with a second amp to add some motion and depth.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Starting to get the hang of that Steve Vai Bad Horsie wah. When playing along to soul jazz, funk, ska, or even ambient tracks, it works well at the end of a phrase, run into the Deluxe Memory Man with very little modulation.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts