Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Damn, @ZootTheSim, you went hardcore fast! The Red Panda Tensor is awesome and crazy, and I assume the Syntax Error is too. Now I wanna check those out!
Right? Chalk it up to a combination of curiosity, opportunity, and GAS. They don't make me sound any better, and often make me sound worse. But the guitarist from my ska band wants me to add some tracks to some lo-fi chill tunes he's written, so I figure it can't hurt. Except the pocketbook, of course.

The Syntax Error will likely take the place of my Pigtronix Ringmaster ring modulator, which I might end up selling. It's also a cool pedal, as the carrier signal tracks your melody, but the controls are a bit confusing. The Syntax Error gets what I'm after with less fuss, and has presets to boot.

The Tensor has presets too, but they need a separate foot switch to access, and my Tech 21 switch won't fit the bill without a midi host. Then again, both the Tensor and Syntax Error will likely end up on a table beside me where I can tweak them live, instead of on the floor. Between them, it's like having another instrument.

·
Registered
Bb saxes
178 Posts
The most useful effect for me is a Freeze pedal as it expands my musical possibilities. In addition I like pitch effects, mostly for creating dissonance and pitch glides - I’m using a EHX Pitch Fork. And some delay or reverb with a hold function - mostly a Caroline Meteore. For weird glitchy stuff a Drolo Stamme[n].

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
For weird glitchy stuff a Drolo Stamme[n].
The Stamme[n] looks pretty cool, Henk. You can achieve a sort of freeze or stutter with the Tensor by tapping quickly to record a very brief loop. You can then adjust the loop's pitch or time as it repeats, or overdub additional loops, or randomize it all to add some less predictable effects.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yes please. I'll be looking forward to your review.
sorry I didn't report back sooner, but for the record the TC Duplicator was a resounding dud. Actually not much output at all, so the quality of the effect wasn't really a factor since one couldn't hear any effect anyway.
I'm back to using the Mic Mechanic only.

·
Registered
Bb saxes
178 Posts
You can achieve a sort of freeze or stutter with the Tensor by tapping quickly to record a very brief loop. You can then adjust the loop's pitch or time as it repeats, or overdub additional loops, or randomize it all to add some less predictable effects.
I have been looking at the Tensor, impressed by what it can do. But I haven’t seen/heard a convincing musical use of many of its possibilities yet. The Stamme[n] seems to be able to do most of the musically useful stuff with a single tap rather than a double tap. I like especially the pitch-freeze function: freeze a not and then when you’re done freezing, divebomb the frozen pitch down like a tape stop. I also have fun with the Boss DD-6 in hold mode (again: single tap) or in warp mode for playing chords. Maybe I’m waiting for someone to show me a musical way of using the additional possibilities of the Tensor :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Had a G.A.S attack for sax and clarinet effects after watching a s. load of Daniele Vitale videos who uses effects.
. I am trying to keep the gig rig as light and simple as possible so I decided to see if there were any software or iOS app solution. The 5 effects that I have found that I can use are reverb, eq, compression, octave and harmonizing. Figured that good hardware would be over $500 so I decided to use software and apps. I had the DAWs already so the plug-in I found were less than $20. Using both a PiezoBarrel pic up with a wireless solution and a microphone.

Here is a screen recording of the free Voloco app solution (not counting ipad, PiezoBarrel pick up, and irig2 interface) And I have mouthpieces for alto and tenor that the same pick up screws into.
The neat thing about playing with a harmonizer is that you pretty much have to stay in the key you pick so I think it is good ear training. I consider myself a beginner on the clarinet and this helps me stay in tune and I find I am practicing longer as I kind of like the sound. Using a rather inexpensive plateau system clarinet. To play along with backing tracks I switch to more of a chromatic effect until I learn to determine the key by ear.

Can't get enough of this guy!

He is using pedals that I already have interface with free looping software but he has written scripts which complicates.

I am focusing more on just using apps on an iphone or ipad with an irig BlueBoard foot controller with two pedals attached. Trying to keep rig light, affordable, wireless/wired options and as simple as possible. Trying the TC-Helicon apps (@$15 with external midi control add on) now to see how far I can get towards my goal. It also has an AUv3 for plugin into your ios DAW for layering the instruments. Already like the effects with the clarinet! They have a ios iphone solution for even a lighter rig and you could keep the rig on your person with wireless audio out to your amp. I will be using the Blueboard for wireless midi control so that would be the only thing external along with the amp.

Update 9/24/19 Ipad rig worked at home but with heavy use during rehearsal I had too many fails and find that either the apps or the ipad is not handling intergration and looses midi and audio connection often. Going to stick with Mac to handle everything.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I have been looking at the Tensor, impressed by what it can do. But I haven’t seen/heard a convincing musical use of many of its possibilities yet. The Stamme[n] seems to be able to do most of the musically useful stuff with a single tap rather than a double tap.... Maybe I’m waiting for someone to show me a musical way of using the additional possibilities of the Tensor :)
The Stamme[n] is definitely a cool box, if more difficult to come by. That said, my guitarist dropped by last weekend and was blown away by the Tensor's warp, stutter and rewind effects, which add some really nice texture to the sort of lo-fi chill hop we're now experimenting with.

I'm using the Tensor in tandem with an Alexander Syntax Error for added glitch (ring mod, stretch delays, etc.), and controlling both from my iPhone using TouchOSC via a mio4 midi host. I can still use my foot for activating momentary or latching loops on the Tensor, and use the iPhone for selecting presets on either pedal, which saves fiddling with all those knobs and parameters.

All of that runs out through an iRig into my iPad, where I use AudioBus to chain a bunch of apps: Tonestack for more virtual boxes and cabs; AUFXDub for simulated vinyl wobble, hi-pass filter and compression; Record Master for analog static and hiss; and Loopy for looping, which is midi-synched to an instance of Logic running on my guitarist's laptop, so we can keep time.

It's all endlessly confusing, fussy, unstable, and fun.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Tried a different configuration today. Hooked my Syntax Error to my Tech 21 Midi Mongoose, so I can now access 15 crazy presets with my feet instead of my iPhone. Think Sun Ra meets Nintendo. Plus I added a cheap M-Audio expression pedal to my Tensor, and it's just amazing. I can create a short loop with a tap on the Tensor, then use the expression pedal to trigger it, pause it, glitch it, or warp it to sound like a scratch or vinyl winding down, all the while playing over it live.

The two pedals together offer such a rich palate. And if I really want to flesh it out and confuse the tracking, I just turn on the TC Quintessence to add a 3rd and 5th above. Next step: to run it all through Tonestack for still more noise and lo fi layers.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Got a Mic Mechanic (1st generation) this week. I've only used it at home so far. Its a nice product. Slap, echo, and reverb are nice and stand out in a mix. The pitch correction is very smooth. I don't need it, but it could act as a trainer. I also noticed if I tuned sharp or flat, it provided some chorus effect with my dry sax. This might be difficult live, unless you add a second mic, one dry and one processed. The "Tone" setting is a pre-adjusted gate, compression and essing. I wasn't able to hear it over my loud sax at home, so not able to fully evaluate. I'll use this pedal next week at a gig, and see how it works live.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been looking at the Tensor, impressed by what it can do. But I haven’t seen/heard a convincing musical use of many of its possibilities yet. The Stamme[n] seems to be able to do most of the musically useful stuff with a single tap rather than a double tap. I like especially the pitch-freeze function: freeze a not and then when you’re done freezing, divebomb the frozen pitch down like a tape stop. I also have fun with the Boss DD-6 in hold mode (again: single tap) or in warp mode for playing chords. Maybe I’m waiting for someone to show me a musical way of using the additional possibilities of the Tensor :)
I enjoy a lot the freeze effect. I am interested in buying the EHX Superego... there a lot of options to explore with it and it seems pretty straightforward to play with

·
Registered
928 Posts
I simplified my rig for straight sax, I use ethereal reverb/delay, and TC mimiq. Went back to my voco loco for my mic pre amp, like the mixing flexibility better.
But for big band effect, I add soul-pog and pitch fork to the mix.

·
Registered
Bb saxes
178 Posts
Jptvieira, I did not find the EHX superego more useful than the freeze. I like to keep it simple and in a band-context the freeze is all I need. If you already have the freeze, I’d look into another glitch pedal rather than the superego.

·
Registered
634 Posts
What do you think of the tone reproduction is it good on the quitessence ,' thinking of getting one for my band and my solo gigs with a digitech looper chained in.I would be using it on clarinet ,flute and sax.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Haven't tried it yet with my clarinet, and I don't play flute. But as I've said before, the Quintessence is really great in some contexts, but in others, makes my tenor sound like a harmonica. I suspect it depends on what else is in your effects chain, your amplification, and the kind of music you're playing.

I used it for a performance of Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer, and my pianist and lead vocalist loved its thick wall of sound. Can't say it sounded like a real horn section, but it was impressive.

There's a good review here that also notes the pedal's potential lack of warmth:

http://www.horn-fx.com/tc-electronic-quintessence

·
Registered
571 Posts
3F76E4B7-BD1F-4FF3-AF79-8BCE11BDB355.jpeg

Just scratching the surface with this thing:

·
Registered
29 Posts
The TC products are great (Also made in Victoria BC). I know a lot of people who use them.

I personally used to run my wireless through a big ol Boss ME80 which provided everything you'd ever want (Harmonizers, octavers, delays and reverbs, wah, auto wah, flangers, phasers). The only problem with that set up was that I would feel inclined to use it too much. And have too many effects running at the same time. I never learned to back down on my use of effects when I had it.
did you just go straight in to the ME80, or did you use a preamp of some kind?

41 - 60 of 74 Posts