Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Zoom H2 Microphone and I was wondering which file I should save my recordings to. I have a couple options:

wav 44.1 kHz/16 bit
wav 44.1 kHz/24 bit
wav 48kHz/16bit
wav 48kHz/24bit
wav 96kHz/16bit
wav 96kHz/24bit
mp3 48kbps
mp3 56kbps
mp3 64kbps
mp3 80kbps
mp3 96kbps
mp3 112kbps
mp3 128kbps
mp3 160kbps
mp3 192kbps
mp3 224kbps
mp3 256kbps
mp3 320kbps
mp3 YBR

Which format is the best as far as quality is concerned? File space is of no concern to me: I've got plenty.

Thanks.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
96/24, but it takes Waaaayyyy too much memory. If you're recording for video, then use 48/24. For normal purposes, 44.1/24 will do fine, and with the 24, you don't have to worry about recording 'hot'.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Naw, storage is cheap. I always go for 24/96k when possible. Otherwise I record pretty much everything else in 24/48k. Don't ever make an original recording in .mp3 or any other compressed audio format.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
As mentioned abovee 41.1/24 is generally good way to go for audio only - especially if your end product is a CD or mp3 only.
I record many classical concerts in this format with pristine sound (using outboard end pre-amp and apogee digitizers, Schoepps and Neumanns)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I do professional classical recording using 44.1/24 with excellent results. The selection of mikes, pre-amps and digitizer (not to mention mike placement and knowledge of the material to be recorded and venue acoustics) are what drive the ultimate sound quality. However,a case can be made for higher sampling rates if a lot of post processing is to be done to the recording but the difference would be subtle and a function of the program material.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I had FLAC as an option then that would have been great. But you can't introduce a new format into a mic, can you?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Unless you have the expertise and a pro studio, lock everything on 24bit/44.1khz uncompressed .wavs and forgetaboutit.

(unless you're doing a video project, then you always want to go 24bit/48khz, where the final file will be 16bit/48khz to sync with the video)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
96/24, but it takes Waaaayyyy too much memory. If you're recording for video, then use 48/24. For normal purposes, 44.1/24 will do fine, and with the 24, you don't have to worry about recording 'hot'.
Naw, storage is cheap. I always go for 24/96k when possible. Otherwise I record pretty much everything else in 24/48k. Don't ever make an original recording in .mp3 or any other compressed audio format.
Unless you have the expertise and a pro studio, lock everything on 24bit/44.1khz uncompressed .wavs and forgetaboutit.

(unless you're doing a video project, then you always want to go 24bit/48khz, where the final file will be 16bit/48khz to sync with the video)
44.1/24bit is plenty for most applications. Unless your doing audio for SACD (96K/24bit) or DVD live show (48/24bit), and the music is well recorded jazz or classical, there really is no need to do anything beyond 44.1/24.
Looks like the 'pros' here pretty much agree...

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,871 Posts
If I had FLAC as an option then that would have been great. But you can't introduce a new format into a mic, can you?
Most mics these days are still analogue, so there is no microphone audio format apart from an analogue signal with those. I think the relevant question should be regarding audio format once converted to digital on the recording medium.

With digital mics, again, there is no specific audio file format as far as I know, it is just a normal mic with an A/D converter (I think). In this case there would definitely be no point in the final audio file on the recording medium being any higher spec.

For my recording work I see little point at the moment in using anything higher than 44.1/24 or 48/24 for video, certainly my clients aren't asking for anything higher.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got a clean 1GB of memory. Is 96/24 fine? I'm not gonna be using it all that much.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
This pro reaffirms 44.1/24 is fine for pristine recording using the right equipment. Focus on mike selection and placement techniques, how to set levels, and other factors that will enhance your end result -in recording quality at least.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
You're gonna fill up that 1GB REALLY quick at 96/24. Anyone know the specifics? I'd expect it to be less than an hour and wouldn't be surprised if it was something like 20 minutes...

In any case, it doesn't make a difference to you, man. You're using a Zoom. They sound good for their job, but they're not high end studio equipment, and going to deeper/higher bitrates and sampling rates is really only a factor if you're gonna be stretching the crap out of your audio.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,871 Posts
I've got a clean 1GB of memory. Is 96/24 fine? I'm not gonna be using it all that much.
1GB is not a lot these days, but is reasonable for most modest systems. The amount of memory you need will depend on how many tracks and the number of RAM intensive plugins you may be running. To use 96/24 you'd also want to make sure you have fast processors.

Plus, plenty of storage space on your drive to store the very large files.

Even with a lot more memory than that though, I would not bother with 96/24 - it makes no difference for the music I'm recording.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
This pro reaffirms 44.1/24 is fine for pristine recording using the right equipment. Focus on mike selection and placement techniques, how to set levels, and other factors that will enhance your end result -in recording quality at least.
Sorry, I meant to include you in the multi-quote.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Thanks Hakukani! I recorded recently two concerts of Taylor Eigsti trio - 44.1/24 (dithered down to 16B using my Apogee) great sound.
As you know well gathered from your many sage comments, too many novices focus on non essential specs to capturing great audio.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts