Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to order it from WWBW because their catalog says "call us and ask about the new Custom Z soprano" but when I contacted CS I was told they don't carry it in their inventory, and it would have to be specially ordered and would be unreturnable except for manufacturing defects. For a ~$4000 price tag I'd want a little more of a red carpet... where has everyone else been buying theirs?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Many dealers around the world will sell you an instrument by shipping it to you. I'd try all the usual suspects and assess their inventory and willingness to deal, ship, and accept returns. WW&BW, USAHorn, Matthews and Faxofoonwinkel in The Netherlands, Kessler in Las Vegas, Weiners in NYC, come to mind - all businesses with whom I've dealt. DAVE

·
Registered
25 Posts
I for one am getting quite exhausted contacting the "usual suspects" about getting a good price on a new horn. I'm might consider a Yamaha, but its a tough comparison when a Yanagisawa S901 is seemingly so much less expensive than a new Custom or Custom Z. Whatever the brand, I'm finding it really frustrating trying to approach a "professional" horn, yet feel I'm being treated like a chump by the wholesale-dealer network.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
USA Horn did a great set-up on the Custom Z alto I tried there...and their price was competitive. I would pick them over WWBW (and it would assuage my guilt over never having purchased a thing from USA Horn.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I've never been treated like a chump by any of those retailers I mentioned in my previous post. Every one of them, on every occasion, has treated me with respect, answered my questions, and ended up sending out a high-quality instrument with which I had total satisfaction.

As far as whether to buy a new Yamaha Custom Z soprano or a Yanagisawa S901, that wasn't the question. But since it was discussed, I'm playing my S901 today and my Yamaha soprano is no longer in my possession. If and when the new Yamaha soprano hits the market, I'd be curious to try it and/or read about it, but actually buying one when I already have what I consider to be the best soprano on the market? Probably not. DAVE

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did they tell you if Yamaha is shipping them yet?
WWBW said that yes, Yamaha is currently shipping the 82Z soprano, but it would have to be special order.

USA Horn did a great set-up on the Custom Z alto I tried there...and their price was competitive. I would pick them over WWBW (and it would assuage my guilt over never having purchased a thing from USA Horn.)
Their site is www.usahorn.com right?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They said $3899.99 for the straight lacquered and.... a 3 to 4 month ETA. Surely someone else will have it in stock before then?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Good recon.... Ships in July...... need a good reason to buy an untried horn that I technically don't need.... collectors value? Better investment than stocks? Inflation will make my $4k worthless in a year anyway?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good recon.... Ships in July...... need a good reason to buy an untried horn that I technically don't need.... collectors value? Better investment than stocks? Inflation will make my $4k worthless in a year anyway?
Technically we could all make do with a set of $500 saxes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
... collectors value? Better investment than stocks? Inflation will make my $4k worthless in a year anyway?
A new horn an investment? You are joking.......... right?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
I'd check with U-Crest Music. They usually have very good prices on Yamaha saxes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts