Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of the current modern baris, which would be a good lower priced horn to purchase for a middle school band program? I have a couple Jupiter Deluxe student models from the 90s and while they play fine, the metal is soft and they don't hold adjustments well. I have some older Conns and Kings but they are so worn out that they don't stay regulated either.

I spotted a low priced Amati ABS64 in the WWBW catalog and wondered if anyone has actually played one. I know the Yamaha YBS52 and Jupiter Artist are popular choices but they cost $1000-2000 more. I know the communist era Amatis are not generally held in high regard, but what about the the current offerings?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
KJ
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
Joined
·
4,379 Posts
The Vito (actually a Yanagisawa 901) is an excellent bari and it holds adjustment very, very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
I am very satisfied with my Kessler Custom. I bought it just slightly used and have been playing it now for about 5 months and no complaints. This is a Taiwanese import and this model has been sold out but they now have another import.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Second vote for the Vito VSP. It's actually a Yani 901 and built like a tank. However, I don't know if they're still being marketed as the VSP...they may now be known as the Leblanc 7190BA. Same horn, though.

A couple of repairmen I know have nothing good to say about Amatis of any vintage.

I used to own a Saxophone.Com low A baritone. I thought it played pretty well for the price, but I don't think I'd recommend it for a middle school band program...durability could be an issue. Ditto for the Buescher BU-6, which I think isn't even available any more. It sounded pretty good, but the keywork metal was very soft, and it would probably spend lots of time in the shop.

You're better off budgeting for a $3500-$4000 intermediate level baritone than looking at the low end stuff. I taught middle school band once upon a time, and the lower end baritones will get knocked out of whack too easily in that situation. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,642 Posts
Currently, the Kessler Custom bari is on paid administrative leave... :)

We are working with the factory on redesigning some aspects to it. If they can get things done for use, then I will be offering them again. Until then, we are not ordering more.

We had to do a LOT of customization on them to get them to play the way that they do. Plus, we were never satisfied with the Right Hand configuration. So we are working with them on changing all of this.

They are a good horn. There was nothing wrong with the finished product. We are just trying to get them to make the necks for us with the modifications already done & also trying to get them to change the RH ergos.

I hope to know more by February.

As for the Leblanc/Vito. It is now officially discontinued. The contract with Yanagisawa has expired. They are going to fill existing backorders (I have 4 left on order) which we will sell at $3695.

I also have 6 Yanagisawa B901's on order that will sell at $4,095.

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Kessler Bari

Here is a link to the Kessler Custom bari that I have:

Kessler KCB-800L Kessler Custom Bari

Kessler's wesbsite advertises the Unison as the best Taiwanese import. See Unison bari here.

I had assumed that the Unision was the successor model to the KCB-800L.

Dave, can you clarify how the current Unison offering differs from the model that you mention you are working on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for the input. I'll probably plan on $3600-4000 and purchase a decent bari.

I did borrow an older Conn 12M from a friend to play a show, and that was one sweet playing bari. I suppose a good, properly restored vintage horn might be a consideration as well.

KJ
 

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
Joined
·
3,841 Posts
Keep an eye out for deals on used horns. Saw a silverplated Yamaha 62 bari in the local paper (it disappeared, thank heavens, or I might have two baris right now), so I know they're out there. You just have to be kind of patient.

-Leanne
 

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
Joined
·
9,735 Posts
Conrado said:
Here is a link to the Kessler Custom bari that I have:

Kessler KCB-800L Kessler Custom Bari

Kessler's wesbsite advertises the Unison as the best Taiwanese import. See Unison bari here.

I had assumed that the Unision was the successor model to the KCB-800L.

Dave, can you clarify how the current Unison offering differs from the model that you mention you are working on?
I don't know how the horn is but I love those wheels on the case.
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,207 Posts
Ken Janak said:
Thanks to everyone for the input. I'll probably plan on $3600-4000 and purchase a decent bari.

I did borrow an older Conn 12M from a friend to play a show, and that was one sweet playing bari. I suppose a good, properly restored vintage horn might be a consideration as well.

KJ
You also might look at JK stencils. I almost bought one myself. You might also consider YBS-52.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
Joined
·
4,379 Posts
EZ posted a Vito VSP (901) bari for sale today on this forum. If you can buy used and out-of-town it's probably worth a look. The price seems reasonable to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
I have a used, black nickel SX-90 (Keilwerth) that I am looking to get $3800 for... You can PM me for more info or photos...

It was my main horn for 7 years, but is a second back up for me now...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,642 Posts
retread said:
EZ posted a Vito VSP (901) bari for sale today on this forum. If you can buy used and out-of-town it's probably worth a look. The price seems reasonable to me.
Ez is asking $2400 for it - This is a Phenomenal deal. Anyone looking for a bari right now would be foolish to not buy that horn over a Taiwanese import.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,642 Posts
Adam said:
I have a used, black nickel SX-90 (Keilwerth) that I am looking to get $3800 for... You can PM me for more info or photos...

It was my main horn for 7 years, but is a second back up for me now...
Also a good deal - and I can personally vouch for Adam. Good guy, takes very good care of his horns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the feedback.

Even though the contract between Leblanc and Yanagisawa is terminated, can I assume any Leblanc bari with the 7190BA designation would still be the Yani 901 horn? A local store gave me a bid on that model for a good price, but I wanted to make sure it's the same horn everyone here is referring to.

KJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,642 Posts
Ken Janak said:
Thanks for all the feedback.

Even though the contract between Leblanc and Yanagisawa is terminated, can I assume any Leblanc bari with the 7190BA designation would still be the Yani 901 horn? A local store gave me a bid on that model for a good price, but I wanted to make sure it's the same horn everyone here is referring to.

KJ
The question is really this: does he have it on order already? If not, then he cannot honor that price because there is no way to put in a fresh order for it. It has already been discontinued in the ordering software that Conn-Selmer uses.

If he already had it on order, then yes, ALL the 7190BA models were B901 Yanis. Conn-Selmer is going to replace the 7190BA in their system with the new "LaVoix II" model that is made in Taiwan.

Brand new, my price on the 7190BA is $3695. I have 3 remaining on order that are not yet sold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
I play a YBS-52 at school. That is one helluva sturdy horn. The guy who played it before me (goes by the name of Mike Lewis. He was a football player.. awesome jazz musician though) SAT on the bell. Yes.. during marching season he tripped and SAT ON THE BELL. Over 250 lbs on the bell.. and it was still able to play. Yes.. it looked like hell, and was eventually reshaped, but still plays most awesomely. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
acti0n_jacks0n said:
I play a YBS-52 at school. That is one helluva sturdy horn. The guy who played it before me (goes by the name of Mike Lewis. He was a football player.. awesome jazz musician though) SAT on the bell. Yes.. during marching season he tripped and SAT ON THE BELL. Over 250 lbs on the bell.. and it was still able to play. Yes.. it looked like hell, and was eventually reshaped, but still plays most awesomely. :)
:( Well he is dead. As of tonight Hercules the YBS-52 died. Cause of death? Some moron in the lower band knocked him off the riser during our concert today, where he fell about 6 feet off the stage into the orchestra pit and to his doom :(

The indestructible horn has finally been destroyed. We are having an open coffin funeral procession tomorrow..

I had to play the crappy Unison horn for the concert today.. Its range was horrible..

HERCULES WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME!? (cries) He was one helluva good horn while he was still around.

I shall miss him dearly.

RIP HERCULES THE YBS-52
2000-2007 (Don't give me that appalled look! He was a school horn.. and our band is notorious for stupid bari players. He lived hard and died young.)

-Action
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top