Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello !

I play with a C* Selmer Mouthpiece and I was wondering what would be the best ligature for me.
I play with a Yamaha Ligature (a little bad ) and want to try and buy something that makes me feel more confortable ...
any suggestions ??

Thanks
Pedro

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just purchased a Selmer C* S80 MP and a Vandoren Optimum ligature and I like the way they sound together. It's a one screw ligature with three different plates you can use depending on the type of sound you want to produce. Seems a liittle far fetched but I've only tried one of the plates so far.

Diskman50

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,828 Posts
This question comes up frequently!, and there are alot of good ligs" to be had,traditional two screw ligatures always are tested and work!,the olegature ligs are fine but of course find the right one, as is the rovner,but i would recommend the rovner light, or the ed daniels" which gives you the options of adjustment!, the dark is ok..you really have to try a few to find out the sound you like, they can make a diffference!,but i dont believe it to be that much.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I dig my rovner on mine. It darkened the sound just enough to make it really sing up top, and give the lower register a tone I'd best describe as "velvety"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Here's three to try that I like:

1. Rovner Dark leather lig.
2. Bonade inverted metal lig.
3. Rovner Eddie Daniels leather lig.

·
Registered
297 Posts
A Selmer S80 C* has been a staple for much of my legit playing for almost 23 years. I've tried quite a few ligatures but my most recent favorite is the Rovner Versa. It has lots of potential adjustments that give you a wide choice regarding your overall tone color. Good luck!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Give an automotive hose clamp a try. It's a lot easier than tieing a string ligature and you really won't notice the difference....

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I used to mix for a very fine D.C. area tenor man named Buck Hill. He uses a Couf mouthpiece and nothing but a stainless steel radiator clamp on his VI. And the only difference I notice is that he sounds fantastic.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Not sure what your point is, Mr. Man, but this is quite factual. I've used one with great results but it is rather cumbersome.

·
Registered
179 Posts
...all the Rovners are great players on a Selmer S80! My personal favourites are the MkIII and the new Legacy, if you don't want to fork out on a Eddie Daniels II/Versa.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I didn't like string at first. I thought it sounded great but was very hard to reach pitch with and sounded too dark. So I started tying tighter and using more loops of string (actually hemp twine), and that solved both at once. It's made even the most stubborn mpcs reed-friendly (my Graftonite C7 comes to mind).

I still use the Rovners for all shows and recordings, though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts