Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any good solutions for a ligature in a STM baritone piece? I inherited an ‘80’s one, which I love but the stock lig is terrible!

I’ve never been much of a fan of Rovner-type strap ligatures, and ideally would prefer something which works with a “normal” cap (eg unlike the Francois Louis Ligatures).

Perhaps I’m being a bit of a Goldilocks here, but when I used to play a STM on tenor I settled on a simple old metel Selmer lig (a la Michael Brecker on his Guadala) which worked perfectly. As far as I’m aware they don’t exist for baritone?

(I use a brass Woodstone lig on a Reso Chamber piece on tenor now, which were 2.5 times cheaper when I bought it!!).

Many thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone, I bought an alto Vandoren Optimum this afternoon and it works absolutely perfectly!

It turned out to be a bit of an expensive afternoon as I bought a Balam strap at the same time...

·
Registered
48 Posts
On my bari STM Link I use the Vando alto Optimum or the discontinued Rovner EVO for alto. The EVO works very well and is much less prone to shifting if you happen to grab it while adjusting your mouthpiece. Either one works well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone have any good solutions for a ligature in a STM baritone piece? I inherited an ‘80’s one, which I love but the stock lig is terrible!

I’ve never been much of a fan of Rovner-type strap ligatures, and ideally would prefer something which works with a “normal” cap (eg unlike the Francois Louis Ligatures).

Perhaps I’m being a bit of a Goldilocks here, but when I used to play a STM on tenor I settled on a simple old metel Selmer lig (a la Michael Brecker on his Guadala) which worked perfectly. As far as I’m aware they don’t exist for baritone?

(I use a brass Woodstone lig on a Reso Chamber piece on tenor now, which were 2.5 times cheaper when I bought it!!).

Many thanks!
Francois Louis makes makes a ligature that is a perfect fit, it is actually made for a large metal bari sax mouthpiece... although when I ordered mine it took pro winds around a month to actually get it in... it was a drastic improvement over the stock ligature...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
685 Posts
This is not much of a help to the OP, in that they both already made their purchase long ago and don't like Rovners, but as someone else might stumble across this thread while doing their research, I've just gotta say that I think the Rovner 3MVL sized specifically for bari Links works great for me. The stock lig on both of my STMs is terrible, as many would agree, but I knew that going in. So when I bought my first one from WWBW, I added the Rovner to make sure that I had something that worked, and I never felt a need or even a desire to try anything else. And I have an alto Optimum, but for me the Rovner works better. So, I just thought I'd play devil's advocate (which, the way some folks talk about Rovners, could be taken quite literally!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts