Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a choice of either Berg Larsen metal or otto link with my Super Action Series 2 bari. I was more leaning towards the bergs because i enjoy the sound of pepper adams setup. I was thinking of getting a 115/1 or 120/1 but couldnt decide. I was thinking if the tone wasnt bright and edgy enough it wouldnt sound like a jazz mouthpiece. I was thinking of using size 3 jazz reeds. Any tips?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,329 Posts
…thinking of getting a 115/1 or 120/1 but couldn't decide. I was thinking if the tone wasn't bright and edgy enough it wouldn't sound like a jazz mouthpiece. I was thinking of using size 3 jazz reeds.
If you get a Berg, see if you can get a trial period. That's actually a good idea with any mpc. Bergs are inconsistent. Some good, some bad. You're correct in getting a size 1 or even a 2. They are both bright but not too bright. size 0 is more for playing R&B. 115 and 120 are pretty open so make sure you are not jumping up too far in tip openings from what you're playing now. Use a 2 or 2.5 reed. Is this for big band playing?

Link can be good too. Definitely not as bright as berg.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
I used to play a 110/1/M on Bari w/BARI* Med reeds. I could actually play quite dark on it! Yes, it could be "pushed" bright, but it wasn't inherently so.

I now play a very Custom Drake Ceramic (modeled after a Berg 115/1/SMS), in a .115 tip size.

·
6,831 Posts
Why is it a choice only between a metal Berg and a Link?
Probably because they are the most common Bari pieces to start on (both of which I have played, much prefer the Berg!).

I have also played a Metalite, and though very good for modern saxes, vintage saxes generally sound like crap with them!

But, there are other options out there.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd really like to try a jody jazz, but thats out of the price limit. I need this berg for jazz playing, for classical i have a C**. For a nice jazz sound, should i do a 115/2? I would like a nice rough jazz sound that will blow the back door off of a club or a bar. A pepper adams or even Ronnie Cuber sound is what i want, when he used to play on metal bergs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__OSyznVDOY

This is the sound im looking for

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
RC used a Rubber Berg at one time in the 115 area. I much prefer the 1 ( one) chamber on Bergs which have more focus than the 2. They often do not measure what they say on the piece although I don't know about the new ones. There are plenty on Ebay. My preference would be one that is around 115/1/M or SMS..you might have to get a 120 to actually get 115 because of the sizing inconsistancy but try a 115/1.... you never know

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I use a SR Technologies piece when I play my Bari, which isn't to often. It's kind of middle of the road. Not too edgy or thin and a not too round or dark. It wasn't cheap. I believe around $350.00 +. I tried four pieces from WWBW and liked it best.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,120 Posts
Hi All, I also play a SA-II. I found a metal (steel) Berg 125/3 M which is the perfect mix for me. Used to play LaVoz MH, but switched to Fiberreed Carbon M or MH recently. When blowing hard, you get quite power and grunt, Cuberish. But the 3 chamber and the M lay allow to whisper if needed. Dunno if they still make them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,329 Posts
I'd really like to try a jody jazz… Ronnie Cuber sound is what i want…
You're not going to get that sound from a Jody.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,125 Posts
get a Metalite M9, $25. How can you lose?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,329 Posts
If you're a 'kid' go with a Metalite. A 7 should be a good starting point.
They're cheap, loud, edgy when you need it, and they DO work on 'most' vintage baris'.
My 'son-in-law' is currently using one on my old Buescher 400 with no issues and is diggin' the cheap Rico Orange box reeds in a 2.5.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im not a beginner at bari. I've been playing for 5 years. If the metalite is so good, why is it cheap?

·
6,831 Posts
I could lose 25 dollars. I want a jazz mouthpiece that could be used professionaly and it doesnt seem like $25 could give me that.
Price aint everything! While I do play on a Custom $400 mouthpiece now, I didn't start that way! The Metalite M7 I bought in 1993 did me very well up until 2008, when I finally got my own Bari. The old King hated the Metalite, so it had to go! Otherwise, they are quite good, not just in their price range, but in their own right!

·
6,831 Posts
Im not a beginner at bari. I've been playing for 5 years. If the metalite is so good, why is it cheap?
It's cheap because #1 the material, #2 the brand (Rico is a huge company, and I doubt if they make any profit at all on these), #3 the quantity at which the are produced, #4 no hand facing (yet, still relatively consistent, more so that Selmer Paris pieces which charge much, much more $$!) .

·
1,596 Posts
It's cheap because #1 the material, #2 the brand (Rico is a huge company, and I doubt if they make any profit at all on these), #3 the quantity at which the are produced, #4 no hand facing (yet, still relatively consistent, more so that Selmer Paris pieces which charge much, much more $$!) .
+1, not to mention if your not used to high baffled mouthpiece $25 is better than $400-$900 if you don't like the high baffled feel.

and expensive is not always better. Various vintage american Bari's are way cheaper and sound way better than modern bari's that cost 3-5 times more.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts