Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi SOTW

i've been really controlling my spending and turning into investments,

i bought the mega vault from florian rooz (hellosaxophone)
am on track to have weekly/biweekly lessons from an instructor who recently graduated.
am on track to book an instructor whom has great pricing, and over 20 years experience
paul deville method

grind is all that matters, but what tools helped you the most in your saxophone playing ?
i'm trying to build up resources, and tools to steamroll through and maximize my time until auditions, i started not too long ago

thanks
happy holidays

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,046 Posts
Warp X is certainly right. You said it too.

Grind is the word.

There are many activities in life that are like that. They all look like a piggy bank, the more you put in it the more you find when you need it.

I am not a pro or not even an advanced player but I can hold my own among amateurs which is the circles where I musically move. I have a band, a quartet, and we played last Wednesday.

We were playing and I was complaining that I haven’t played much lately because I have been much distracted by moving from one house to another. They asked me how long I do play practice a day and I said about 3/4 of an hour, they all seemed to think it was a lot.

I told them that at the time I had my first band about 5 years ago I decided to take this seriously and put at least two hours of playing a day.

That made me jump from where I was much, much, further.

The fact is that I began with the exact same bass player and he is still where he was 5 years ago but I have have progressed quite a bit.

Of course, in my case, a lot of time is invested in learning the tunes. I don’t read so I have to memorize it all.

We have a repertoire of about 40 pieces and I am playing some other ones too but I need to stay familiar with the pieces that I play.

There is no box anywhere which will give you as much as time will.

Also have a sense of motivation and direction.

Because you might also put time in going around in circles ( which is not bad as long as you are consolidating in depth rather than wasting time).

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
On the material plane, my Martin Comm III that I won on Ebay 9 years ago is by far the best thing I have gotten. The modified pinkie table that Lance Burton made for it were also a great decision. This sax is now like a part of my own body, which I should mention has parts that don't always work so well making them not such great investments. I would complain to the manufacturers, but they all died years ago, and anyway there was no warranty given nor implied either, so a lawsuit is impossible. ;:

I also have a Berg SS scoopbill offset tenor piece and a Phil Barone Mainstream tenor piece that are both fantastic and worth the money spent on them. Jazzlab Saxholder and Just Joe's gel strap complete the setup and make playing a joy.

As to the truly best investment of them all, that's the commitment I made to really learn to play the sax when I realized it really wasn't too late to do it just because I had quit in my 20's and not done it for decades. I had that regret than many get of thinking it was too late and the boat was long gone, but a colleague at work made me realize that that is a myth we tell ourselves that keeps us from actually doing it. It is never to late to undertake anything in life if the goal is to do something for the sake of doing it and not with a finish line in mind. There is no finish line to most things in life because we must, by nature, continue on the path once set out on it and the following of that path is the only reward or goal in and of itself. That is what motivated me to invest or, better said, dedicate my time and the rest of my life to the pleasure of making music for that joyous experience alone. Anything beyond that is gravy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi SOTW

i've been really controlling my spending and turning into investments,

i bought the mega vault from florian rooz (hellosaxophone)
am on track to have weekly/biweekly lessons from an instructor who recently graduated.
am on track to book an instructor whom has great pricing, and over 20 years experience
paul deville method

grind is all that matters, but what tools helped you the most in your saxophone playing ?
i'm trying to build up resources, and tools to steamroll through and maximize my time until auditions, i started not too long ago

thanks
happy holidays
what is the mega vault?

so far my best investment has also been practice time, which usually feels like the reward in itself, noticeable improvement or not.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Again material, my mark vi tenor was the best thing I ever bought. I got it from a teacher who lived literally just down the street and it's the best tenor I've ever played and I've tried horns from the best shops all around the world and I've never found anything like this one. Even horns that are twice or 3 times the price! But yeah on the non-material side, grind is definitely the best word to describe the best investment you can have.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,489 Posts
Mouthpiece purchases gave me more bang for the buck than what I spent on horns. But regular lessons with people that are very good player/teachers by far has made the most difference. With the right teachers you don't have to practice 2 hours a day, you want to K

·
Banned
28,511 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The less stuff, the less distractions.

Chasing mouthpieces and other gear costs money and time. Wasted time, often wasted money.

Since I settled on my main (ie. only) mouthpiece for each horn (admittedly I am literally about to try my new Pillinger mpc for Bb clarinet but both are an upgrade needing finessing) I started thinking more about what was left - me.

Tone, technique and musicality are paramount.

Get a good teacher, a decent mouthpiece and a bunch of reeds and play as much as you can/desire. The first two years I practised alto 1 to 2 hours every day it was quite a solid foundation especially since I worked simply scales, arpeggios and my teacher's exercises and tunes.

If only I could keep that routine today.

V

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,210 Posts
Finding my Tenney Slant tenor piece. More recently the Protec neck strap.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,841 Posts
Best investment I ever made was purchasing the 10mfan Merlot, Robusto, and The Boss hard rubber mouthpieces. Ended my search as soon as I got them and 2 1/2 years later they're still the only tenor pieces I own.

Literally has saved me thousands of dollars that I've been able to put into obtaining more music, reeds, and more practice time.

I thought about all the time I could spend LOOKING for tenor pieces. Searching the web, ebay, the forums, whatever...then communicating about a piece, looking at pictures, sending payment, getting the mouthpiece, trying out 600 reeds on it, deciding I wasn't keeping it, listing it for sale, taking pictures, communicating with potential buyers, receiving payment, packaging up and shipping the mouthpiece to it's new owner. And that's all for ONE piece!!

On a lesser note but still impressive: Just Joe's neck strap. Only one I ever carry or use.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
67 Posts
Material:

Second hand Phil Tone Eclipse mpc. It is as though Phil called me up an asked me what I want in a mouthpiece.
My Couf tenor....bought very cheaply in need of an overhaul. After the work was done, proved to be the provider
of the sound my mind had been hearing.

Most importantly though.....following what I really love playing. Not because I should play this or that or people thinking I'm crazy.

Playing for love and loving playing....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what is the mega vault?

so far my best investment has also been practice time, which usually feels like the reward in itself, noticeable improvement or not.
The mega vault is a compilation of works, books, lessons, etc. whatever, by florian rooz aka "hellosaxophone" off the top of my head it comes bundled with
scale book, saxophone health problems avoiding them etc., identifying saxophone problems and fixing them aswell as maintenance, a beginner book, an intermediate/advanced book, tone building program, some other whatever thing i don't recall, but it only cost 65 euros and there's tons of good stuff in there i heard "unleashing the dragon" had a lot of expert weigh ins and SOTW feedback, there was a thread for it and i heard nothing but good so i decided to check it out.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
1,521 Posts
Warp X is certainly right. You said it too.

Grind is the word.

There are many activities in life that are like that. They all look like a piggy bank, the more you put in it the more you find when you need it.

I am not a pro or not even an advanced player but I can hold my own among amateurs which is the circles where I musically move. I have a band, a quartet, and we played last Wednesday.

We were playing and I was complaining that I haven’t played much lately because I have been much distracted by moving from one house to another. They asked me how long I do play practice a day and I said about 3/4 of an hour, they all seemed to think it was a lot.

I told them that at the time I had my first band about 5 years ago I decided to take this seriously and put at least two hours of playing a day.

That made me jump from where I was much, much, further.

The fact is that I began with the exact same bass player and he is still where he was 5 years ago but I have have progressed quite a bit.

Of course, in my case, a lot of time is invested in learning the tunes. I don’t read so I have to memorize it all.

We have a repertoire of about 40 pieces and I am playing some other ones too but I need to stay familiar with the pieces that I play.

There is no box anywhere which will give you as much as time will.

Also have a sense of motivation and direction.

Because you might also put time in going around in circles ( which is not bad as long as you are consolidating in depth rather than wasting time).
What a great, mature quote and viewpoint.

For me, the big interest and focus is playing....there's that "time" thing again. But I'm also wired in a say that makes me "need to know" what is available in equipment, and I have some of that "what if I find out years later there is something else that I would have gotten even more pleasure from?" wiring. So, I ran through a lot of saxophones, and have kept a lot. Yet, it takes little time to buy, and my evaluation of them (as well as mouthpieces) happens during my normal playing time. I play the same songs, the same exercises, that I normally do, but I'll just flip back and forth. So the focus is still the playing, still the "woodshed time".

Once in a while, maybe once a month, I'll pull a horn and revisit the comparison, again during the normal "practice" time. I hate to call it practice since any time I'm playing I'm loving it......

For me, the key is that I never expect any mp or horn to make an improvement in my playing. My sole curiosity is if I will enjoy one more than another, yet I could enjoy any of my horns. Mpcs I can't say the same for, some just hurt my ears.

Playing is my addiction, trying different horns is just a little side hobby.

Back to the OP, best investment: hard to say, in the big picture it might be the rental fees on a new Selmer Liberty to see if I liked and could "take to" the saxophone. In ten minutes I knew that I'd play ever day for years.

In terms of an accessory I would have to say the Saxholder. I can play all I want, up to the point of just being mentally fatigued, without neck pain - ever.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,046 Posts
Cheers Ballad Kid, indeed, The saxholder has, taken some weight off my neck, where, I am sure my two vertebrae stenosis weren’t too happy to carry any weight, and gave me the possibility to play with much more pleasure and less pain.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts