Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a thread that has to do excatly with the Title. What was your best horn? This was taken from the What was the worst horn you played thread? And I decided to see the other extreame on the Best.

Carbs

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
That's easy my 97,XXX Mark VI Tenor. I've owned it for almost 20 years and have NEVER considered buying another tenor. Alto's, Sopranos, Flutes, Clarinets have come and gone.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,205 Posts
Selmer MkVI, 199xxx alto.

Bought new in 1972. Been all over h e double toothpicks and back with me. I know it inside and out. Been completely overhauled (no relac) 4 times. It has about 35% lacquer left, and that was rubbed off by weather and my own hands. Worn out three cases.

Best for me, maybe not best for you.:D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
My best tenor is the one that I have owned for 20 yrs A mark Vi tenor 85xxx.

the best soprano was a Yamaha 62r when I got rid of it I never thought they would become so sought after.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
My current B&S made tenor and alto are the best I've owned... although I had a SX90BN alto and a Buescher True Tone alto that were killer too.

No doubt in my mind about the B&S tenor though. I've had a 5 digit VI and still have 49 Big B. I think the Big B may have been better at one time, but these days my Big B is tired and could use an overhaul, so it's tough to gauge it's potential.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
silver plated conn alto tranny (mostly 6M)...unbelievable power and such a pro tone...only had it for a few months...I had too many horns and my wife was not happy (I was still making monthly payments to Sam Ash for another alto sax at the time) so I had to sell the Conn.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Fortunately, the one I have now. Allora (B&S) tenor. I could not ask for more. Before that I played a Selmer Super for 19 years. It looked like a pile of crap but was a great sax and VERY reliable. The Super was getting pretty long in the tooth so I began the quest, vascillating between an expensive overhaul/restoration, another vintage unit or a shiny new one.

I bought a nice condition Conn 10M and hated it. Then a Black nickel B&S which knocked me out. Except the finish. I wasn't nuts about it but the horn played superbly. Took a gamble and bought a clear lacquer version, which played just as well. Sold the blackie, the Conn and the Selmer.

That was a weird, breif period. Old horns ,new horns, changes. If the Allora serves as well as the Selmer it will be my last sax.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Best horn ever owned by me was/is a Henri Selmer Paris Super Action 80 Series II Alto Sax. She has a "I was made for you" feel to her. :D She gets positive comments on her solo, as well as section, sound from local professional musicians and so far none of the "you need to really focus on your intonation."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
15,815 Posts
1963 Selmer Mark VI alto......best I ever played before or since. Had it for 6 years and, sadly, sold it. It was simply magic for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts