Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been asked earlier, but with some recent new recordings, I thought I would post the question:

Who is the best Flute Player? Herbie Mann? Julius Baker? Herbert Laws? Robert Dick? Holly Hoffman? Someone else/

Do not restrict your answers to just Jazz or Classical. Oh, and include the why for you choice.

Thank you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Absolutely no idea. Ask the almighty when you meet him.

The flute players I like to listen to most....the Irish.

I listen to classical players, Jazz players, Rock etc. I'm familiar with Lew Tabackin, Jethro, Pahud, etc.

But for sheer joy, sound and spirit, I find myself coming back to Matt Molloy, Gallway, Seamus Eagan and so on.

I was lucky enough to attend several jam sessions on my visit to Ireland and the contrast with Jazz or Blues jam sessions had a profound impact on me.

If you ever visit Donnegal, be sure to stop in at Leo's Tavern!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Jean Pierre Rampal covers classical beautifully. Severino Gazzeleoni plays brilliant on modern compositions. Eric Dolphy and more recently James Newton dazzle me with intervalistic speed.Hubert Laws defies catagories and plays it all including salsa.Mali Lingam is the most amazing south indian veenu player ever.All these guys have a warm full sound!

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
In my opinion, James Moody is an absolutely wonderful flute player, and he isn't mentioned as often as he should be.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I can report that Galway is a great bloke to have a drink with. I got to play one of his Coopers too. Must be nearly thirty years ago..........

·
Registered
26 Posts
My favorite players :

Classical : Jean-Pierre Rampal (ah, Claude Bolling's Suite for flute and piano jazz trio...) : the classical sound for me. I also like Aurèle Nicolet and Melanie Desmarais, among many others.

Jazz/fusion : Jeremy Steig, Malik Mezzadri. (and Kenny Garrett, who did very good flute job on Miles Davis' Munich concert, circa 1988)

South American music : Altamiro Carrilho

I also like a lot the guys who played on several Bob Marley's records!

·
3,358 Posts
Check out Hariprasad Chaurasia on the Indian bansuri to find out why it is great to play a flute without keys...

Toby

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
And check out Simion Stanciu "Syrinx" (on Erato label) for standard flute works incredibly played on pan pipes, blemish-free, trills and all. He makes Zamfir sound like a beginner.

·
13,915 Posts
Check out Peg Cornils if you get a chance. We shared a studio for a while a few years ago and she is amazing. She is doing a solo recital at Carnegie Hall late winter/early spring 2008, I forget when exactly and can't check my date book cause I'm not at home. Wonderful person and a great musician/composer. If you are in NY go see her!!!

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I liked Rampal's Bach sonatas, and his soulful Mozart Flute & Harp concerto.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ian Anderson gets my vote. (but I haven't heard many of the others, and I like green jell-o).

Reason: I have heard him play a few times, and I have also listened to Jethro Tull albums.

jell-o is good for you.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My favorites, for classical: Galway, Rampal, Baker. For jazz: Tabackin, Farrell, Laws, Ali Ryerson. I also like Wess, Lateef, and Moody, (if I'm in the mood). No pun intended, OK a little!

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
For sheer beauty of tone my favorite is Yusef Lateef.
I like Rahsaan Roland Kirk very much.
The late Harold McNair was a great and underrated player.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
I just did a little tiny bit of internet research on this topic. Apparently, Dan Arsenault is the best flute player. I read this on something called "Sax on the Web". But I think maybe Eric Dolphy might be better at jazz. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts