Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
we have spoken (albeit in a jocular way sometimes about this) about this many times during these two years.

Having only a hole or a slit in a ordinary mask will not produce any positive effects because air will come in from the hole and in any case escape from the horn and not only from the bell but from every single tonehole.

You would really obtain the same effect placing a regular mask only on your nose and leaving the mouthfree , there is really no added value to wear cloth or any material under the nose if you are blowing air through the mouthpiece and the horn.

This is logical but logic is not always the way to make arguments that are often only bases on perceptual and emotional stances.

Anyway if, you still want to have something that would make use of the entire mask ( mostly for appearances purposes in my view, having said what I did above ) you could re-purpose products with a valve meant for drinking provided that is large enough to do this with a mouthpiece., which at the very least offer a valve around the mouthpiece instead of a mere hole in the mask.

there are several people out there who di this , much depends on the size of the mouthpiece that you want to insert in the mask, this looks promising BUT there is the risk of damaging the reeds when inserting them in the valve.

Blue Vision care Eye glass accessory Sunglasses Gas

Human body Sleeve Eyewear Font Personal protective equipment
Microphone Facial expression Product Pharmacy technician Font

many put a piece of cloth on the bell, that is utterly pointless, unlike a trumpet or trombone or tuba the air comes out from every tonehole in every wind instrument!

this is apparently not clear to people doing these things

the valve in question may be found in the food industry, is normally made of silicone and is called a slit valve

I doubt people can source these in small amounts bu they are used for perishable foods such as sauces contained in a plastic dispensing container which is then generally refrigerated.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bottle cap Camera accessory Flash photography

Registered
Alto: Selmer Series II - Tenor: Martin Committee III, TM Custom, Keilwerth SX90R - Soprano: YSS-475
The Gator musician mask is fairly comfortable. It has a flap that is held in place up or down with magnets. I've found it easy to use without interfering with the mouthpiece or reed.

It's available through Amazon too if that's your thing.

I had to buy one of these for a virtual jazz fest taping back in April, and have used it a few times for wedding gigs where they wanted the band to wear PPE, and as a normal mask when I was washing my others.

yes, with respect , what is the difference between cutting an ordinary face mask?

then you may as well go the DIY route since the prevention is minimal and is mostly a symbolic object.

Musical instrument Neck Jaw Eyelash Snake

at most you can cover it with a piece of another mask and it will be as ineffective (or as effective) as one of these

Musical instrument Eyelash Saxophonist Microphone Music

Reactions: AddictedToSax

another slit mask (it鈥檚 just a cut in a ordinary mask!)

Musical instrument Daytime Photograph Sunglasses Musician

Tire Automotive tire Jaw Sleeve Organism

Attachments

Distinguished SOTW Member.
I'm not an expert, but I don't think a mask is going to do you or anyone else any good if there is a hole in the mask and a saxophone in the hole.

Of course, I could be wrong about that.

Insights and incites by Notes 鈾

Forum Contributor 2016-17
Stick the horn in a pillow case, tape the opening to your face, and stick your hands through the elastic-lined holes you cut in the sides.

well, in certain places they are mandatory , despite the fact that it is obvious that it does little to protect the player or the people around him.

Distance is still the best way to protect anything and anyone

Reactions: Arundo Donax

Registered
Alto: Selmer Series II - Tenor: Martin Committee III, TM Custom, Keilwerth SX90R - Soprano: YSS-475
well, in certain places they are mandatory , despite the fact that it is obvious that it does little to protect the player
In my instance it was part of the advance and required for the live taping. I also had to have a bell cover, which does nothing on saxophone. It's COVID theater to make administration feel like they are doing something...

Hopefully at the university level both teacher and student are vaccinated to minimize any risk. I just went back to in person lessons a month ago with one student only because he was able to get vaccinated.

TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
Great to see a modern legend still perusing around here!

Mentioned earlier, this is the type of product that would probably work best for playing. The home solution is probably much cheaper to make too

but playing into the pillow case is not protecting the player from inhaling any aerosol...

;) this is where Bubblegirlsax went

Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
....and away we go.............
3,2,1 ... counting down to when this thread is taken down.

No mask is going to prevent a spray of condensation and saliva coming off a vibrating reed. All you have to do is look at the sax after you've played for a while. It will be covered with white specks of dried saliva. A woodwind reed makes an almost ideal airborne droplet generator. Best solution would probably be some kind of plexiglass booth.

As already stated, it's all theater. In that case I'd cut a slit in a cheap paper mask. It would probably satisfy the authorities and that's what it's all about. The picture above with three young people marching outdoors with masks and bell covers says it all.

Registered
Here's what I use:

But seriously, when I was required to wear a mask while playing, I just cut a slit in a cheap disposable surgical mask, same kind as I wear when I fly.

Since the mask doesn't actually do anything for a sax player, (air still comes out the corners of your mouth, where the mouthpiece meets the facing and through every tone hole) just do whatever your school administration requires. There is no way to safely play the sax in an enclosed space. Outdoors, distancing will do the trick.

Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
Further to complaints, a couple of posts were edited. I really hope this can now be discussed within the rules, it would be sad if a good discussion is closed due to a couple of individuals who seem to want to stir things.

Whoever wants this discussion to stay, please stay on topic regarding the question, ie a mask you can wear while playing the saxophone. Simple as that, thank you.

Registered
Hopefully far UV-C will soon be on the table as a real answer to the problem of airborne virus. So far it has gotten too little attention.

Reactions: soybean
1 - 20 of 35 Posts