Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to a local music store and tried out of a buncha mouthpieces... Well actually only 4 ... I tried 2 Ottos, a Meyer 6 and 7. I enjoyed the Meyer 7 and thought it to be the best. I also found it to be really easy to play when I used Rico 2s. (But I wanted a darker sound). Then when I went to ask about the price, and the guy told me $260 NZD ($205 USD).... I felt reeaaaaal stink inside while trying to act calm on the outside.

Anyhoos, my question is:
What's the best deal for these?
I got a suggestion from a pro sax player that I should order it off prowinds for half the price. But I took a look around the forums and it had a lot of negative feedback.

Any suggestions for mouthpieces that will give you a darker jazz sound? I tried the ottos and did not like them at all.

Thanks a bunch, SotW. :)

Edit: I have another question... This may sound dumb, but what are the options for sending the payments?

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
Consider paying a premium for a mouthpiece that you have play tested. The next Meyer 7 you try may not play as well.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I've bought from wwbw.com and sax-ccessories.com with excellent price on Meyers (and plenty of other brands).
NZ$ isn't as strong as the Aussie$ though 8)

·
Registered
152 Posts
agreed with mojobari. alot of mouthpieces comming from jjbabbit today are incredibly inconsistent. you can go online and search around for one at a lower price, but chances are, if you dont like it, you'll have to send it to get re-faced, and will have spent as much money as you were going to originally.

ebay has some meyers goin really cheap, and some that have already been refaced. to me thats the best bet (and cheapest)

·
Registered
7 Posts
That does seems crazy to pay that much for a stock meyer. However, I agree with the above comments. By the time you add in refacing costs it would be cheaper to buy it if you like it. I still play on a stock meyer I bought 16 years ago. It has never been worked on and it sings!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your suggestions, I've decided to wait until I'm more experienced before I make up my mind.

However, I took a look at www.sax-ccessories.com, and had a look at one of their Meyer 7 mm.

http://www.sax-ccessories.com/products/200/MEYER.html

I just want to know if this is a good deal or not, considering that I live in New Zealand and the shipping rate is $34.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would recommend the Vandoren V16 medium chamber.
Oh? Why's that?

Thanks everyone for your feedback... There are a lot of suggestions to buy the store's Meyer since they're inconsistent but there are also many replies saying that it's overpriced...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts