Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Coltrane is my favorite Tenor player, I love the sound he produced but mainly with his BA Tenor more than the VI, and while I like most of his albums, there are two specific albums that I consider among the bests: Love Supreme and Crescent.

In these two albums there are two of my favorites songs: Resolution and The Wise One.

What is your favorite sound, song and album from Trane and why?

Best,
:treble:

·
Registered
816 Posts
I LOVE Love Supreme, but also Olé.

But as far as songs there is are two Untitled Originals 11383 and 11386 that are amazing to me.
Also Blues to Bechet is a fave.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,230 Posts
Soultrane. His sound is warmer, wider, than normal. A very pleasing sound.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
For me: "Coltrane Jazz". Recorded late Nov. - early Dec. '59.
Little Old Lady
I'll Wait And Pray
Like Sonny
Harmonique
My Shining Hour
Some Other Blues

With Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, Jimmy Cobb

·
Registered
880 Posts
For me, there are two distinct Coltrane eras: The Prestige/Atlantic era and the Impulse era

On Impulse, my favorite album is Crescent (best tracks are the title track, Wise One, and, even though he doesn't solo on it, Lonnie's Lament).

On Atlantic, my favorite album is Coltrane's Sound (best tracks are Central Park West and Body and Soul).

Though I tend to prefer his ideas and overall playing on later albums, my favorite Coltrane sound (i.e., tone) occurs on his earlier recordings (e.g., The Stardust Session, Blue Train, and the original Miles Davis Quintet recordings).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Coltrane's sound is absolutely magical to me and I agree with everything that has been posted so far. I have just today been listening repeatedly to the alternate take of Body and Soul from Coltrane's Sound. Another recording that I also really love is Stardust Sessions, especially Time after Time. I also love his sound on Expression and some of the other later albums like First Meditations, minus the screaming altissimo, which try as I might I still find hard to listen to.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
I like all periods of John Coltrane. He never sounded bad.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I LOVE Love Supreme, but also Olé.

But as far as songs there is are two Untitled Originals 11383 and 11386 that are amazing to me.
Also Blues to Bechet is a fave.
They are!

I forgot about those songs from Both Directions (The lost album of Coltrane).

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
For me, there are two distinct Coltrane eras: The Prestige/Atlantic era and the Impulse era

On Impulse, my favorite album is Crescent (best tracks are the title track, Wise One, and, even though he doesn't solo on it, Lonnie's Lament).

On Atlantic, my favorite album is Coltrane's Sound (best tracks are Central Park West and Body and Soul).

Though I tend to prefer his ideas and overall playing on later albums, my favorite Coltrane sound (i.e., tone) occurs on his earlier recordings (e.g., The Stardust Session, Blue Train, and the original Miles Davis Quintet recordings).
I would agree with all of this, especially The Stardust Session. However, I have no love for Love Supreme ...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I've always been a fan of early Coltrane as far as timbre goes. Fave album - Blue Train & this is one of the reasons why:

A very centered tone with body & depth...more so than I hear on the Coltrane '57 album.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,535 Posts
It’s interesting how on the tenor conclave recording I don’t care for his sound much at all, and I think Hank Mobley plays rings around him, but within a year or so, everything fell into place, he got off the smack and he sounds pretty much amazing on everything he did from mid 1957 on.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
The Bethlehem recordings of big bands is pretty amazing. Whenever he solos, the bandstand gets lifted.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Africa Brass, both album and track are possibly my favourites for the freedom and expression, but also up there are Naima and Equinox. With Miles however it has to his solo on Blue in Green, 10 bars of beauty with such a fabulous tender tone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts