Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clip on mics

Given the choice between:

Sennheiser E 608
Shure 98/HC
ATM 35

Which has the best tone - reproduction of acoustic sound. Do any of them compare to say a SM57?

Note that the Senn 608 plugs straight in without need for phantom power or battery.

thanks
Jim

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,023 Posts
+ 1 for Audio Technica ATM350.

The Beta 98 is too hard sounding. It reproduces all the keywork noises.
If yoou want the Beta98 without the keywork noise you need to buy the Beta98 capsule with clip model A98KCS.

The e608 is too hyped on the midrange... and it reproduces all the keywork noises.

To me, the SM57 is not a good choise to miking the saxophones.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,833 Posts
i use the AKG 419L system and that has always served me well!..not on your initial list but one to consider?,far superior to a shure 57.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
+1 for the ATM 350 :)

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
.....Note that the Senn 608 plugs straight in without need for phantom power or battery.......
....and note that the Shure Beta 98/HC (non wireless) DOES need phantom power from whatever you plug it into. I almost bought one of these, and I had to open up the box and look at what was inside to confirm this. And just to be clear, there is no provision to be able to put a battery anywhere in the Shure Beta 98/HC in order to remove the need for externally provided phantom power.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I use the Shure PGX 4 wireless system w/ the Beta 98HC for smaller local stuff. It is nice for the money. But the reason it picks up so much kework noise is the same reason that most folks don't use bell clip mics in the first place- the mount. The clamping mount that comes with the Shure, though quality, has stiff rubber grips. That means that the key clicking vibrations are sent from the instrument to the mic.

Now many players are also leery of these style of mice because they can dent the bell if overtightened or if bumped at certain angles. Players with bells made of softer metals will notice small dents over time.
If you use a thin piece of foam b/t the clip and bell surface, you can lessen the impact. This can also reduce noise caused by key vibrations.

So, really you need to first ask yourself the budget question. Then the functionality question!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Even though this is an old topic and the 2 mics I mention are not in the initial shortlist, the following might be of some interest for some of you.

Check out the Audix M44 or the former M1244A. Along with the clip-on goose neck from Audix these are excellent for sax. Good feedback rejection and resistant to extreme SPL. They have a high output level. Cardio or hypercardio available. I use the cardio. The goose-neck is sturdy and allows to put the mic pretty near the bell. It must not but it can. On loud stages it can help. The resulting sound is nicely throaty. But, careful, the balance low notes/high notes will be uneven in this case. Not recommended without limiter or compressor. But with compressor it's fat and powerful. Another way to help out with the balance is to roll off the low frequency at 120Hz. Again: take the mic further out and you won't need all that and will have a much more balanced sound. The Audix can also be used in many other applications. Audix M44/M1244A: Nice mic! High end for a clip-on sax mic. Very sturdy.

Another very good one is the DPA 4099S. Hypercardio. It has a very balanced and neutral sound. I designated it to stage use but with its killer sound, I begun recently to use it in studio also. The goose neck is a bit short and therefore the position is pretty much fixed: about 12cm from the bell, slightly inclined towards the body. Actually: this is where it should be, and there it yields the best sound. It's not as sturdy as the Audix. It looks very fragile. The mic, the cable and the connector to the XLR are tiny. With optional mounting devices this is also a versatile mic. E.g. I also have the adapter for acoustic guitar and double bass. DPA 4099S: Sound wise this is very highest end, but seems too fragile for heavy duty stage use.

Both need phantom power of course ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Thanks for the tips - I have been wanting to go wireless for some time, and its good to get these mic recommendations from guys who use them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Check out the JTS MINIATURE 'GUITAR & WINDS' wireless system. It works very well and is cheap!!!
I have one and love it.

John.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,921 Posts
Not on your list, but SD Systems is back in business, and they are still the best clips IMHO.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,721 Posts
I always like the sound of the shure 98 but when switching back and forth between horns the clip would break. I broke 2 of them.now I use the at atm35 which is pretty good. I quit using clip ons a long time ago and just use sennhieser 421 or shure 57 both get a sound I like better then the atm 35.I still have the atm 35 but dont use it much. I keep it for emergencies .I like the shure 57 for sound and durability for gigs. They are pretty good in my opinion and you dont need phantom power if thats an issue for some players with old school mixers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,023 Posts
With a wireless system, you have to combine the quality of the mic and the quality of the wireless module.
I tend to prefer... to have the wire.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Saw TOP last night and Tom Politzer's equipt sounded fantastic. What MP and clip on mic is he currently using?

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Saw TOP last night and Tom Politzer's equipt sounded fantastic. What MP and clip on mic is he currently using?
This thread caught my eye then I realized it started over 8 years ago. You might get better luck at finding an answer to your question by starting a new thread.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Since it's an old thread, I might as well say that I really like my old, second-hand ATM-350 for recording, and have often used it live too.

But tonight I played a gig with my newly bought vintage Noblet 40 clarinet, and it just wouldn't stay clipped to the bell. Had no problems clipping it to the Buffet E11 I rented, but the Noblet must have a differently shaped parabola or lip. I ended up clipping it to a music stand and playing into it like a regular stand mic, which worked just fine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Buescher 156 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 , Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari
4,947 Posts
I'm using the Shure PGX 4 system with the Beta 98HC. I've been using it since (glances closer) this thread was new. Great unit. I'm running it through several effects pedals. The success of the mic depends upon where you're putting the gain on the belt pack. I never go past 12 o'clock. That gives me enough signal to pick up everything the horn is doing, without sounding harsh. Works well for everything but bari. Of course, I can't think of a clip on mic that truly works well with bari.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,291 Posts
I'm using the Shure PGX 4 system with the Beta 98HC. I've been using it since (glances closer) this thread was new. Great unit. I'm running it through several effects pedals. The success of the mic depends upon where you're putting the gain on the belt pack. I never go past 12 o'clock. That gives me enough signal to pick up everything the horn is doing, without sounding harsh. Works well for everything but bari. Of course, I can't think of a clip on mic that truly works well with bari.
Same here. The Shure 98/PGX4 combo is a set it and forget it piece of kit. I had the ATM 350 at the same time and eventually got rid of it after using the Beta 98 exclusively for a number of years. It's been so long I can't recall why I chose the Shure over the ATM, but I have no regrets

1 - 20 of 24 Posts