Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Currently I have a YAS-475 and I was looking for a new horn. I am not sure whether I should stay with Yamaha and invest in possibly a 62II or switch to another brand. Thanks in advance!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
There is no "best brand". If you get a pro level horn, there are 4 major brands. Selmer, Yamaha, Yanagisawa, and Keilwerth. They're all good horns and it really is a matter of preference. There are also a number of quality horns, most notably Cannonball and P. Mauriat, in the tier below the Big 4.

Figure out your budget. Find what horns fall within that range. If possible, find a place where you can test them. Use the search button and the make/model sub-forums here to read comments from people that own those models.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'd go with a selmer or yami82z if I were you. But again: you have to choose for yourself and see what feels best for you

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
With $5k to spend, head to the big city and try them all. There is no "best brand", only a best sax for you, and dont let your ego or anyone else tell you otherwise.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Yes. Er, uh, no.

Really, at this price point, they are very competitive. Some horns are considered overpriced but that is up to the buyer to determine. The market would not sustain if an instrument were truly priced beyond the value that a player would pay.

It's time to do some homework (not ask others to answer the questions just for you since these issues have been discussed in depth for literally years), decide what your tone concepts are (bright vs dark), and play some horns.

Don't dismiss a horn just because it is not set up well. Of course, if you don't have a tech to set up the horn well, maybe you should avoid it. Not an easy answer, eh?

Best to take a trip to a good shop and experience the horns in the best possible setting. Your budget will cover most any great new horn on the market (barring the solid silver ones).

And by the way, if you're looking for the best horn... It's a TENOR.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Selmer-middle of the road tone(cept series III which are bright);Yanagisawa-tend to be bright;Keilwerth-dark tone cept for the saxes that are nickel silver these tend to be brighter;Yamaha-bright

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Yanagisawas usually have flawless fit and finish(play great from new-no adjustments needed). Keilwerth saxes usually have some very minor cosmetic flaws(and their cases leave alot to be desired{my daughter's silver keilwerth case had extra padding put in to stop sax from moving in case;my black nickel Keilwerth has the saxmover case-horn fits in nice but light duty case;straighht alto case is the worst case I ever saw-sax just lay in there and rolls aroun}). Yamahas have excellent fit and finish and are reputed to have a very durable laquer. Selmers generally need some adjustments right out out of the box but once set up properly are great saxes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
In my (limited) experience, a Keilwerth needs a really good setup. You may well be disappointed if you (try to) blow a factory-fresh JK.

Oh yeah, as Dr G says, it should be a tenor.

And <cough>selmer</cough>.

Nice budget. The play testing is real fun. Enjoy it.

S.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Some comments about Keilwerth:
It has a bigger bell than the other horns. This is supposed to make the sound bigger. It also makes the tone more "spread" and it needs more work/different kind of mouthpiece if you want a real centered tone. The bigger bell can cause problems if you want an after market case because it may not fit.

It has a "non-stick G#"mechanism. It doesn't always work. :(

The best feature though is the adjustable left hand palm keys. It comes with a small wrench that you can use to change the height of each palm to to optimize them for the shape and size of your hand.

Of the 4 major brands, Keilwerth has the largest, most spread out keys/ergonomics. I'm not sure about alto (I have a Keilwerth tenor) but if you have small hands, you'll probably have an easier time with another brand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts