Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a firm believer in the player makes the saxophone (see below).

I currently have a fully functional YTS 23 that plays brilliantly. The makeup of the horn is a bit blocky, the action isn't the greatest and the clickiness of the keys are too audible when I am trying to play softly. I've been asked to play with a local big band and want to upgrade; however, I am not looking at spending 10K on a VI. I know a lot of sax players seem almost robotic with their responses. Selmer, Yamaha... I know how great those horns are. What I'm trying to figure out is about newer horns? Newer makes? Anyone try anything new that sounds great? I am not a pro, but I am definitely at an intermediate level (playing altissimo more and more comfortably to give you an idea).

My alto setup is a Selmer Series III with a Dukoff 4. Sounds super poppy (which compliments my style). I got a killer deal on the horn, otherwise I would have bought something different.

As for my current situation with my tenor shopping, I don't care what it looks like. I don't care about brand names. What have you tried and have been impressed with? I need to test out some horns and I would like to have a set list of makes to look for.

ps - I realize he said "YAS" when it should have been "YTS"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I wholeheartedly recommend checking out the YTS-61. Best bang for your buck IMO considering I've seen a few on the forum sell for around 1500-1600 bucks.

I love mine. They're less buzzy than the newer 82Z's But they're big and bold sounding.

On the other end of the spectrum for Yamaha's you could also check out the 82Z horns. For about 3K+ they are one of the best horns on the market. They have a great sound and amazing ergonomics.

Price point. Also if you need to be able to try it out before you buy it then that is going to limit your ability. Music shops only carry so much. And New instruments are going to fetch a higher premium than the used market.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
The 61's are the cheapest Pro Yamaha's. But they have that vintage vibe. Kind of Selmerish. Not as intensely yamaha bright as their other horns. I'm playing one in the link in my signature.

The U in the 82ZU means unlacquered. A lot of people prefer them to the regular lacquer models. I know a few people who play them. They are really slick responsive horns.

If I had the money I would buy a 82Z.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You could probably take that 23 in to a good tech for a COA and it would be more than adequate. Beyond that, there are so many options it's hard to know where to begin.

You can't go too far wrong with Yamaha or Yanagisawa tenors, and they do come for sale in the Marketplace with some regularity--sometimes for less than $2k. If that's not bang for the buck, I don't know what is. I would put in a word for the new line of Yani's: I think the W0 series is really something special. Although there aren't many of them being sold used.

Beyond that, there are all the Taiwan made horns, some of which people swear by. I don't have enough personal experience with these to comment, but you'll find lots of posts about Mauriat, Barone, Viking, Kessler, all of which I believe are made in Taiwan (or assembled in the US from parts made there).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wholeheartedly recommend checking out the YTS-61. Best bang for your buck IMO considering I've seen a few on the forum sell for around 1500-1600 bucks.

I love mine. They're less buzzy than the newer 82Z's But they're big and bold sounding.

On the other end of the spectrum for Yamaha's you could also check out the 82Z horns. For about 3K+ they are one of the best horns on the market. They have a great sound and amazing ergonomics.

Price point. Also if you need to be able to try it out before you buy it then that is going to limit your ability. Music shops only carry so much. And New instruments are going to fetch a higher premium than the used market.
Is there a feed or forum on here where players can purchase and sell?

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
2nd the Phil Barone tenor....great horn for the price...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Yes, The Marketplace. Access is restricted to members in good standing with 6 months and 50+ posts. You joined before the date of the change, and may thus be grandfathered in. I’ve contacted the moderator on your behalf.

Of course, this wouldn’t be an issue if you participated more often. Get involved!

·
Registered
629 Posts
agree the yts23 is a bit clunky, so i got a purple logo yts62 for $2k and love it; i'll never buy another tenor (um i think).

i bought from this guy in japan, shipped here to usa; https://www.ebay.com/str/akamaakama/Saxophone/_i.html?_storecat=12639132012
heres a 62 for under 2k hes got https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-YTS...940855?hash=item3fad084877:g:vAwAAOSwtRBblOYA

the main thing i dislike about yts23 is clunky octave key, the 62 has the great half-moon shape

here's 2 pix of mine
View attachment 219118

View attachment 219120

gonna go play her now... beautiful horn

I need to give her a name, like "I'd hit that"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
agree the yts23 is a bit clunky, so i got a purple logo yts62 for $2k and love it; i'll never buy another tenor (um i think).

i bought from this guy in japan, shipped here to usa; https://www.ebay.com/str/akamaakama/Saxophone/_i.html?_storecat=12639132012

the main thing i dislike about yts23 is clunky octave key, the 62 has the great half-moon shape
And you weren't worried about authenticity? Hes trying to sell Nikkon horns and calling them Yamahas. Is that legit?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, The Marketplace. Access is restricted to members in good standing with 6 months and 50+ posts. You joined before the date of the change, and may thus be grandfathered in. I’ve contacted the moderator on your behalf.

Of course, this wouldn’t be an issue if you participated more often. Get involved!
Haha yeah. I guess so. Life gets busy with a 1 year old though. I struggle to have enough time to practice let alone chatting about practicing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'll be the first to say it: Might want to look at a Phil Barone vintage or classic model sax. Quite a few on this forum play them. So do I. Outstanding players. Check out the many testimonials in the Barone Forum:
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/forumdisplay.php?388-Barone
I second Bluto's suggestion. I can tell ya right now, get a Phil Barone. I owned two primo Mark VI’s and sold them both in favor of Phil’s horns. I now own both of Phil’s models, Vintage and Classic tenors and a Vintage model alto. They blow my Selmers away. In addition to the horn Phil also includes one of his hand-finished mouthpieces, one of his custom necks and a great, compact flight case making this package the best value around. Even post 'honeymoon' phase with the horns, and still I’m so happy with these horns and his mouthpieces are fantastic too!

Thanks!!
Kristy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll be the first to say it: Might want to look at a Phil Barone vintage or classic model sax. Quite a few on this forum play them. So do I. Outstanding players. Check out the many testimonials in the Barone Forum:
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/forumdisplay.php?388-Barone
I second Bluto's suggestion. I can tell ya right now, get a Phil Barone. I owned two primo Mark VI’s and sold them both in favor of Phil’s horns. I now own both of Phil’s models, Vintage and Classic tenors and a Vintage model alto. They blow my Selmers away. In addition to the horn Phil also includes one of his hand-finished mouthpieces, one of his custom necks and a great, compact flight case making this package the best value around. Even post 'honeymoon' phase with the horns, and still I’m so happy with these horns and his mouthpieces are fantastic too!

Thanks!!
Kristy
Are these horns difficult to find?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,376 Posts
The Yamaha 62 is a very versatile horn that can be found for a good price if you find a used one. The discontinued model 52 was an intermediate horn but also very good player for the money. I've only played one 61 but it had been extensively modified in the keywork. Very good player! I know others who play them as is though and sound just fine.

I've gotten by myself with vintage stencil type horns like old Conns and Keilwerths that played great too. I'm more into the Yamaha these days for what it offers me personally. Ask some friends who have horns you want to try if you can play theirs, maybe give you an idea of where you'd like to go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are these horns difficult to find?
https://www.philbarone.com/store/category/saxophones/tenor

Price is remarkably competitive. Fits right in with the “best bang for the buck”. You do see them here for sale used occasionally.

Suggesting these horns being better than a Mark VI is a pretty big deal. Arguably the best horn ever made! Very exciting to hear. Hes got a pretty good trial period too. What number of mouthpiece did you get? If you could change it, what direction would you go, higher or lower from what you have?

What makes this sax better than your Mark VI's that you've owned in the past?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts