Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Sax Lovers,

I have had many cases for my saxes but all are terrible at carring on my back after some time. I have had a protec and now i have a Eastman.
I want to buy a good one for my The Maartin Tenor for carrying on my back on a bicycle. Any recommendations?

Thanks

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
I too have struggled with cases with a "The Martin Tenor"....i use Protec XL which isnt ideal but at least fits. I'm not aware of a backpack style case that would fit the horn....maybe a BAM Trekking?

My problem is I hate zippers, and I am not sure if there is any case that provides latches with great protection for a The Martin Tenor. I'm not a fan of the hiscox cases at all.

While expensive, a solution I am going with is having Mike Manning build me a custom case. With a lifetime warranty, I feel it is a solid investment for a prized possession.

Let us know if you find something that works!

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
73 Posts
BAM Cabine. I ride a bike with one (for a SBA tenor) all the time. Lock a couple of the latches anytime you ride with it. Just to be safe.

Andy

Hi Sax Lovers,

I have had many cases for my saxes but all are terrible at carring on my back after some time. I have had a protec and now i have a Eastman.
I want to buy a good one for my The Maartin Tenor for carrying on my back on a bicycle. Any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
When I need to take my sax along on the bike, I just put the Yamaha case (original case that came with my YTS32) in a (very) large trekking backpack (85 liter). The case fits perfectly in the backpack and I can use the extra compartments of the backpack for other stuff that I might need (rain clothes, picknick, sax-stand, music stand, ....)
Very handy and comfortable. And cheap as well (was on sale)

·
38,885 Posts
true but a Bam Case or a Protec are way better in cushioning the horn from vibrations. Most standard cases are “ holding cases” not fit to absorb the shocks of Belgian and Dutch :) roads

·
Registered
821 Posts
Call BAM, and then other MFGs directly and ask the question...I bet they have heard it before and have answers.
I have a Louis Armstrong Special Selmer Balanced Trumpet that only fits one aftermarket case, and the company knew the answer!

·
38,885 Posts
I don’t think OP is asking about the fit but he want recommendations

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
I don’t think OP is asking about the fit but he want recommendations
Why would anyone want recommendations for a case that does not fit their horn?

The OP did specify a The Martin tenor, and they don't fit the Selmer mold.

·
38,885 Posts

·
32,949 Posts

·
3,832 Posts
no but asking the companies is hardly going to return an objective suggestion. Martin fit most cases, for sure they fit Bam and Protec.

There are lots of threads about fitting Martins

https://www.google.com/url?client=i...FjACegQIEBAC&usg=AOvVaw19BY3if_OMDP9cfCqjSatu
The very thread you linked shows a document that does not support Martins fitting in any BAM cases.

Your options are Hiscox or Protec XL....that's pretty much it. If there's another case out there, especially with latches, I'd love to hear about it.

- Saxaholic

·
32,949 Posts
Your options are Hiscox or Protec XL....that's pretty much it. If there's another case out there, especially with latches, I'd love to hear about it.

- Saxaholic
I had a Hiscox Artist for my Super 20, and found it uncomfortable and unwieldy for wearing as a backpack. My favorite backpack case is a TenorMadness-branded case, but I doubt that it would hold a The Martin (it won't fit my Borgani Jubilee big bell), and I don't know who is the original manufacturer, and whether they make an XL size. I'll reach out to Tenormadness for info.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I dunno if this fits your tenor, but I really like the Jakob Winter case... super light and protection is more than adequate. Only downside is the latches can be unlatched easily, so to be safe I have a third strap around it.

·
38,885 Posts
Yes, and that chart shows NO comments regarding Martin tenors and BAM cases.
there are several references to this combination in the archives.

Chi Cerca trova

https://www.florenceinferno.com/cerca-trova-or-catrovacer/

it will fit
I wasn't sure which forum this would question fit best in. Hopefully I chose correctly. Nothing useful came up from my searches.

My The Martin tenor fits pretty well in a Protec contour XL. Does anyone know if that case generally fits into airline overhead storage? It's a nice case but I would not want to check it.

Next question: Has anyone tried to fit a Martin tenor into any of the Bam cases? I think those might have a better chance to fit the overhead storage and also might be checkable if necessary. But with the wrong side bell keys I'm not sure the Martin would fit. Bam tenor cases are, according to their website, molded on a MVI.

Sorry for mis-posting, mod or admin.
A older black shaped BAM case fits mine perfectly

·
3,832 Posts
I had a Hiscox Artist for my Super 20, and found it uncomfortable and unwieldy for wearing as a backpack. My favorite backpack case is a TenorMadness-branded case, but I doubt that it would hold a The Martin (it won't fit my Borgani Jubilee big bell), and I don't know who is the original manufacturer, and whether they make an XL size. I'll reach out to Tenormadness for info.
Thank you, sir. Let me know what you find out. My research has suggested either an altered early Walt Johnson case or a Mike Manning custom case. My desire for latches is what seems to be limiting, as I hate zipper cases.

- Saxaholic

·
32,949 Posts
Thank you, sir. Let me know what you find out. My research has suggested either an altered early Walt Johnson case or a Mike Manning custom case. My desire for latches is what seems to be limiting, as I hate zipper cases.

- Saxaholic
I used to share your anathema for zipper cases, but I've come to prefer them among current offerings. I recently had a new BAM Cabine, and prefer the zipper on the BAM SoftPack. That TenorMadness case is a Protec-style case with soft sides and a zipper. I especially appreciate its outer pocket (holds a music folio), and the backpack straps that disappear under an integral cover for "normal" carry.

I've pinged TenorMadness and asked that they respond to this thread.

·
3,832 Posts
The problem for me is I have gone through three zipper cases in the past 10 ish years. The zippers inevitably fail and the case is essentially ruined. I'd love to get a high quality latch case that will last forever. Mike Manning offers a lifetime warranty, and I must admit the idea of a custom case made for my specific horn is enticing. The price is expensive, but for what ive paid for thr past three cases...just about equals up. Outer storage is a concern on those cases though.

I'll be interested to see what TenorMadness has to say. I will try to look into them in the meantime. Thanks for thr lead!

- Saxaholic

·
32,949 Posts
The problem for me is I have gone through three zipper cases in the past 10 ish years. The zippers inevitably fail and the case is essentially ruined...
Were these current cases, made with "self-healing" coil zippers, or something more like an old Selmer Traypack case with metal teeth?

I have dive bags with coil zippers that are 20+ years old, abused (salt water, sand, gunk, etc.) and still kicking (working).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts