Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new YTS 62II and am trying to hit some of the altissimo notes just above the normal range (F#) of the horn (G through C). I've tried a number of fingering charts recommended online and can't seem to get those notes. I seem to hit tones high above that area, but can't get that "lower altissimo" area. I'm using the stock 4C mouthpiece that came with the horn, and Java 3 reeds. I know each brand/model of sax has its "favorite" altissimo fingers, so I thought I'd post here in the Yamaha horn section. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I use:

G - xoo|ooo + High F# or Front F key + Side Bb (more resistant)
G# - xox|xoo + Side C
A - oxx|ooo + Side C
Bb - oox|ooo + Side C
B - oox|ooo + Palm D + Side C
C - oox|ooo + Palm D & Eb + Side C

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I gave those fingerings a try, but couldn't nail them, andrewfrankhouse. I'll try them again later, when I've had more time on the new sax. I did, however, have better luck with some of the options at levelthreesolutions.com.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I'll try some harder reeds. The Java 3s that were recommended to me want to "jump" to really high altissimo notes, but don't want to land on those lower altissimo notes. The levelthreesolutions fingerings seemed to work better, probably because there were so many alternate fingerings to try out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the YTS 62 back from my sax tech the other day. There were several leaks he had to fix, which probably didn't help the altissimo. I tried your fingerings after that, andrewfrankhouse, and most of them worked very well. Thanks! Any suggested fingerings for C# through F? Appreciate the suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts