Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi1 I have just joined the forum and would like help pls. I have been playing the sax for many years as an amateur and at 71 still like to play. Because of my endurance I had to play with a softer reed (2) and would like to know what would be the best match mouthpiece to still get a sweet sound (I am using a Meyer No.6 medium chamber). I also have often saliva in the mouthpiece wich produce a "gargling" sound and of course would like to get rid of that problem. And last any advice how to keep in "shape" on the sax.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
sax journal did a article on this. I believe the larry teal,rousseaus and meyers were recommend. when I get time I will check the article again. Med close mthpcs usually work great and blow relatively easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well the only advice I can give is on the "gurgling"... just suck hard on the reed, it should get rid of it... great contribution, I know;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 &
1,270 Posts
sycc said:
sax journal did a article on this. I believe the larry teal,rousseaus and meyers were recommend. when I get time I will check the article again. Med close mthpcs usually work great and blow relatively easy.
Could you provide the exact reference for the article. I'd like to read it. Do you know if it's available on line? Thanks.
Ruth

·
Registered
337 Posts
Best way to "keep in shape" on the sax? Play, play daily if you can. Practice basics, long tones, scales, etudes (think rubank, or other such books)

As far as the gurgling thing, this is a problem when air support is weak in my experience. If you can work on keeping a good strong air stream. Make sure you are brathing from the diaphragm. To feel this, lay on your back and breathe in, you will feel your stomach expand, this is where your air should be coming from when you are playing. This plus long tones will get you a long way.

As far as a mouthpiece? The Meyer 6m with a 2 or 2 and 1/2 reed shoud be fine for a beginner. you may want to consider a Selmer S-80 in a C* opening. This is a very easy playing mouthpiece that is great for someone who needs an easy blowing piece.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I agree with the airsupport suggestion, since we often during a piece don't have time to suck to remove spit. Try blowing fast air, but it needs to be controlled at the same time. Work on pushing the air out, while your playing. If you get that gurgling sound push it fast. You should keep the fast air going ALL the time.
I second the motion of switching mouthpieces to a S-80 C*.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best advice

Thanks and I will try to follow these advices

1 - 7 of 7 Posts