1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
“Best”? I dunno. I don’t believe in competition. Has Bergonzi ever talked about that? I’d be curious about his mindset when recording a performance like this. Is he really thinking “Nobody can touch this”?

That aside, I was listening to this at work the past week and enjoying it very much. I listened to Joe Henderson’s recording of it during the commute.

Thanks for sharing the link and getting out the news.

·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uhhh no, Bergonzi isn't saying that, I'M saying it... "Nobody can touch this."
Just my not so humble opinion!
“Best”? I dunno. I don’t believe in competition. Has Bergonzi ever talked about that? I’d be curious about his mindset when recording a performance like this. Is he really thinking “Nobody can touch this”?

That aside, I was listening to this at work the past week and enjoying it very much. I listened to Joe Henderson’s recording of it during the commute.

Thanks for sharing the link and getting out the news.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
LOL!!! How's Buster doing?
We play every Monday and Thursday together. I don’t think he’s changed much and he’s still one of the best drummers I’ve heard and played with. You’d be hard pressed to find any drummer who plays better anywhere. He’d still lay waste to any of the NY guys, not to mention the rest of the country.
On our Monday gig we’ve initiated players to the “500 club” 500 bpm and he can keep it there.

·
1,103 Posts
We play every Monday and Thursday together. I don’t think he’s changed much and he’s still one of the best drummers I’ve heard and played with. You’d be hard pressed to find any drummer who plays better anywhere. He’d still lay waste to any of the NY guys, not to mention the rest of the country.
On our Monday gig we’ve initiated players to the “500 club” 500 bpm and he can keep it there.
The 500 club??? Does Pat Robinson sit in???

·
Formerly mdavej
1,324 Posts
Bergonzi is a brilliant guy and a fantastic player. But really not my taste. I just don't care for his style or tone at all. Doesn't move me. I feel the same about Liebman. I much prefer a Bob Mintzer or Chris Potter solo.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I saw Bergonzi last week at the Green Mill in Chicago for three most enjoyable sets. The Tribune gave a glowing review here:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/ente.../ct-ent-jerry-bergonzi-review-0107-story.html

I'm surprised Reich didn't mention that it was the very first time the quartet had played together in this configuration, and without any rehearsals -- though you couldn't tell at all by the music...!!!

Gonz was playing a brand new Dave Walker Lineage tenor saxophone by the way (made by Amati, a quick search on the interwebz revealed), with a modified neck that looked like it had two octave keys, but it's really a brace. (The Tribune story has a couple of close-ups of the neck and horn.) I was so excited to shake his hand and talk to him briefly that I totally forgot to ask about his mouthpiece...

And lastly, at the end of each set, he said something that struck me as very, very profound:

"There are so many good musicians in this world, and so few good listeners."

-j.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Gonz was playing a brand new Dave Walker Lineage tenor saxophone by the way (made by Amati, a quick search on the interwebz revealed), with a modified neck that looked like it had two octave keys, but it's really a brace. (The Tribune story has a couple of close-ups of the neck and horn.)
Is that the Oldroyd Walker Lineage tenor? It looks like Bergonzi's tenor was sporting a different octave mechanism. You mention a brace - a detailed look in the article's gallery reveals that the octave key is suspended from the brace, rather than attached directly to the neck. That's different from the horn shown in the images at Amati.

Oldroyd Walker Lineage by Amati: http://www.amatiusa.com/blow-monkey/

·
Registered
129 Posts
Gonz was playing a brand new Dave Walker Lineage tenor saxophone by the way (made by Amati, a quick search on the interwebz revealed), with a modified neck that looked like it had two octave keys, but it's really a brace. (The Tribune story has a couple of close-ups of the neck and horn.) I was so excited to shake his hand and talk to him briefly that I totally forgot to ask about his mouthpiece...
He must love horns. Every time I see him he has a different horn. I was at a workshop with him once, and he was going around to different people complimenting their horns. He was very sincere about it. (He did not compliment EVERY horn, just the few that caught his eye.)

"There are so many good musicians in this world, and so few good listeners."
I've heard him say that before too. Must be part of his thing now.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Jerry does love horns indeed. I once asked him why he was buying a Buescher Aristocrat from me considering some of the other horns he owns, some of which I'd sold him. He said that it had nothing to do with better or worse, it was that each type of horn took him in a different direction.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts