Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I absolutely agree as well. There's a different timbre and intensity in Jerry's playing when he's on a metal Link. Personally, my favorite Gonz is the stuff he recorded with Brubeck back in the late 70's. His sound was simply incredible.

John

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
He has such a nice tone. I can't describe to anyone else...I think's it's very unique.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I disagree, actually; I prefer his sound on HR---I have been checking out Tenorist, I think it may be his newest recording. To me the HR piece sounds more controlled, and has more "mystery" to it. This recording is great, I love his playing on it--deep...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Yeah Jerry sounds great on all the clips from YouTube.

He sounds fantastic no matter the mouthpiece. The guy probably has over 100 mouthpieces or more anyways.

To my ears he's the best living tenor man we have right now. No one else seems to flow like him, he never seems to run out of ideas and his chops are crazy.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
heath, you don't live in NC do you? Don't really know why but I think I may have met you down there.

Back to Bergonzi. The man is so amazing on many levels. I thank god for emusic as they seem to have a great deal of his stuff available for download there (and at around $.30 a track). Even the Brubeck stuff.

I have a tough time deciding who is the greates living tenor player. But he ranks way up there. I do remember the first time I heard him (Standard Gonz) and he was among one of the great many reasons I moved to Boston. He's such an amazing teachers too. And a wonderful human being. I can't say enough about the man and his music either. I also prefer his playing on metal. However, there is something about the hr brings a warmth to his sound too.

Mick Goodrick is killin' on those videos too (there's another one up there as well).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Naw Swamp Cabbage I live right outside of Kansas City. I wish I lived in Boston, I'd love to study with the Gonz as well.

For me he sounds pretty darn good on the metal mouthpiece. I still like that sound he gets on the rubber Link as well, it's a dark sound, but you can really hear him having to push hard.

For me his Lineage album has his best sound...I have no idea what he's playing on that album.

Honestly though guys who plays better than the Gonz these days? I'm racking my brain and I can't think of one guy that can touch him on the tenor.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Obviously a genius level player.
I had a brief conversation with M Brecker once while he signed CD at a club.
After my compliments and general fan worshop, he modestly said Bergonzi was the guy that he most highly regarded.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
I suspect he is playing a metal Link on the Lineage album. there's a cracked note (about 1:17) on Inner Urge that has a metallic tinge to it. ;)

·
Registered
853 Posts
I think he sounds way more centered and clear on the metal mpc. I too prefer his sound on the metal piece. I think he's wayyyy too dark on the HR link.

I don't think I've ever heard him play a stock or cliche lick. Totally original playing, yet he makes the most complex lines sound intuitive some way.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Jerry got his main hard rubber piece from me...it is an original 10* slant sig Otto Link.

He had been playing an 8 or 8*, and just fell in love with this piece instantly. He said the facing was so perfect on it that it wasnt a big deal to go from the smaller tip to the 10*. Thats a whopping .135 tip on that piece!

Of course some of you will like him better on metal and others will like him more on the hard rubber...lets face it, Jerry sounds AMAZING on every piece he plays! I was thrilled that I could make him happy with a great mouthpiece.

I talked with him 2 weeks ago and he says he just loves the piece still.

He's the BEST! :)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Agreed! He's a brilliant musician and a fantastic teacher in addition to being a great guy. I prefer his sound on HR but I've always prefered "dark with balls" as opposed to the compact metal sound. (Brecker being the exception).

As for players at his level, there's a few, but they aren't better - just different. George Garzone comes to mind, as does Chris Potter. As much as I want to be, I'm just not a big Liebman fan. Lovano's great but he's no Gonz.

Gonz told me years ago that he used to play in a group with Garzone and rhythm section called "Gargonz". I would absolutely love to hear what that sounded like. Unfortunately they didn't record.

If you want to hear GREAT Bergonzi, there's an LP called "Caught in the Act" on Not Fat Records. It's a live album Jerry did in Australia and he told me that was HIS favourite recording of himself. It has Moment's notice on one side (!) of the album and Arbonius Unt and Softly on the other side. Brilliant!

·
Registered
83 Posts
i make a very good advice on the tenorist cd of jerry.
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7419525&BAB=M

the soud is amazing
no sound of keyworks of the saxophone

and something very full, very present , full of harmoniccs with that jerry sound.

the sound engineer has made a wonderful joB.

unfortunately,
i got issues on the playing of abercrombie and santoro on that recording.

just think to JB with JB (Jim BLACK), SN (Steeve NELSON) , and ER (Eric REVIS) !

that could be really great.

i also suggest you to hear to his cds with Joachim KUHN (duet) and with Daniel HUMAIR on drums... that were recorded more than 10 years!...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts