Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Looking for some mouthpiece advice. I want to get a new alto piece or two.

I will be ordering from overseas (the US) as prices locally (australia) are a good 50% higher, sometimes more. To complicate things further the Vandoren mouthpieces are out of stock at my local store and the Super Sessions are a bit thin on the ground too.

I recently tried a friends Berg Larsen 95/M/1 and really liked it. So I'd like to use that as a base for comparison. I'd like to get peoples comparisons of this mouthpiece to a Java and Jumbo Java in an A55, and a Selmer Super Session in an F.

Firstly, out of the Java and the Jumbo Java, which would be most similiar sounding to the Berg in a 1 chamber? I get the impression from the manufacturers websites that maybe the Java will be darker and the Jumbo brighter, but I'd like to hear from someone with first hand experience.

Secondly, how does the Super Session compare to the Berg - I played a Super Session on Sop for a while, and while it was a bit bright on Sop, something similiar would probably suit me on alto.

I'm mainly leaning towards picking up the Berg, however they seem a bit harder to source than the Vandorens and the Selmers.

Thanks

Tim

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
I have a Berg 95/1/sms and a Super Session E for alto. The alto SS is very different than the soprano SS. The alto SS has moderate projection and focus and a nice big low end. The response and tone are good, but it is more of a jazz piece. It certainly doesn't play like a high-baffled piece. It has a long low baffle and flat sidewalls leading into a med/large round chamber. The Berg, in contrast, has better projection but the tone and response are less even. Quality control is probably better on the SS. If you want to play a lot of high notes, the Berg is probably the way to go. If you don't, the SS is probably a better piece.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was going to say you can either do that or call up or email mark spencer in brisbane. He's a champ, will sell you nice mouthpieces and no bull attached. I bought a vintage link off him for 160.

Between the three pieces I didn't like the Jumbo Java its mega bright and its probably not worth your time. I played a modern berg recently and it was missing alot of life compared to the older ones. Not to say it wasn't a good piece it just didn't seem to ring as nicely. The Super Sessions are really nice. Like Bfoster64 said - well focused good low end. It gave me a bit of a Kenny Garrett sound - unfortunately my Link gives me more flexibility so I stuck to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I actually find my A55 Jumbo to be very dark, and I find it pretty difficult to get a bright sound from it. I've got a 110/1 M berg, which is bright but perhaps a little lifeless as benbyrne said (perhaps a bit more could be coaxed from it with some reed experimentation). So I guess the Super Session may be a pretty good balance of both worlds? I'll have to get my hands (or mouth) on one.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
If you want a Kenny Garrett sound, what about a new Soloist E or F? I'm a bit confused but other posters have stated the Soloist is brighter than the Super Session.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I forgot to add, the soprano Super Session is very much like the older Soloists and the alto Soloist would be corresponding modern Selmer mpc.

Really nothing from Vandoren or Selmer is like a Berg. In terms of playing feel, my suggestion would be between the Jumbo Java A55 or a V16 A9S. If you buy a Berg intending to keep it, is there a refacer in the area who can touch it up for you?

Dumb naming if you ask me!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I find the berg and the super session to be similar sound wise, my berg is just a little less resistant. I have a, a super session E and a berg 75/0.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts