Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've played a Berg Larsen 110/1 stainless steel tenor mpc exclusively for 40 years. Having let my abilities languish for twelve years, playing perhaps an hour a year- I'm back with an obsessive vengeance. Part of getting myself back on track was trying new reeds and mouthpieces. I've always felt very comfortable with the Berg, my only complaint being ease in the lower register. While I intend to have Mojo reface it, I wanted to try some others. I'm happy with synthetic reeds, having enjoyed some Legeres, Hartmanns, and Fibracells- all in the S-MS/1.75-2.25 range. I've primarily been a Clarence Clemons style rock/blues/r&b player, but am now pushing to a more jazz sound and feel.

The first contender I've tried is the Peter Ponzol 110 M2. While most of us understand that playing the same setup as another player won't necessarily yield the same sound, I based my choice on Steve Neff's mouthpiece review site. While Steve is a superior player to myself, he sounded remarkably like me on one of the only Berg reviews he's done. I heard in that track something I don't like in the Berg but can't quite define. I extrapolated therefore, that I'd sound as he did on the Ponzol, a sound I loved. Unfortunately this was not the case.

From a physical standpoint the M2 is absolutely beautiful. It has a brushed satiny steel finish and looks immaculate. It also has an impressive heft to it. I also liked the pearl-looking bite plate with its geometric design. I noticed right away that the bore was wider than the Berg's, because the newly installed neck cork was actually too compressed for the Ponzol to sit where the Berg does. It did snug as it was pushed further on.

The Ponzol for me, was very free blowing but too much so- lacking the resistance I'm used to. For me, and again- an out of practice player but with nice, big tone and natural musicality, the M2 was thin sounding and less controllable than the Berg. Again, please bear in mind that I've played the Berg for 40 years. While I was going for something a but warmer, the Ponzol was considerably less so than the Berg Larsen 110/1.

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
1,325 Posts
If you can find an M1 it might be closer to what you're looking for. They are quite hard to come by, though. The only Ponzol piece currently being produced that is similar to the M1 is the SS Vintage. When I tried it. I found it to be pretty dark, but somewhat dull sounding, especially compared to the M1.

·
Premium Member
18,608 Posts
You could try another reed (harder, or another brand) on the Ponzol. I have one in a 0.120" tip with a huge baffle. Very nice mouthpiece, but a bit too bright for my taste.

I did compare my Ponzol with a Florida 10* Link, a Berg 150/2 and a Berg 140/0 about two years ago in this clip:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12543799

(Solo's: Ponzol 120 at 0:19, Florida no USA 10* at 0:48, Berg Larsen 150/2 at 1:16, Berg Larsen 140/0 at 1:45.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts