Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a Selmer Super Sax baritone (1930) in very good shape; with it came a Berg 100 2 SMS 'piece that really looks more like plastic than HR - did Berg use this material or is just very smooth HR? It has the milled finish and a bullet chamber...

Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,342 Posts
I've just bought a Selmer Super Sax baritone (1930) in very good shape; with it came a Berg 100 2 SMS 'piece that really looks more like plastic than HR - did Berg use this material or is just very smooth HR? It has the milled finish and a bullet chamber...

Any advice appreciated!
Put the shank end in your mouth and taste it. If it tastes like sulfur, is bitter and kind of puckers your mouth it's hard rubber. Also as hard rubber ages it gets a brownish oxidation on the outside.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,085 Posts
Hard rubber and it sounds like you got one in pristine condition. Show the mouthpiece here for possibly more comments. The mouthpiece cannot be as old as the Super but it could date from early (or late) Berg production.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's some pix of the 'piece and the sax as requested! Difficult to get good shots of the marking on the mouthpiece - looks like the sax may have been relacquered at some time in the past. The vintage leather gig bag that came with the sax has proven to be irresistible to my avatar, Dr Nunu Blue Moon...

IMAG5327.jpg

IMAG5326.jpg

IMAG5332.jpg

IMAG5322.jpg

IMAG5329.jpg

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks for the info, Kritavi - I was baffled by that high shine finish, especially as the sax also came with a Yamaha 5C that has very much the same sheen but is of course definitely plastic!

The Berg blows very nicely with a Rico Royal 2.5, just got to work on maintaining my air stream now...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,085 Posts
With the rounded end and the steel cap, I'd say it's in 'vintage' territory, around 1960, and with the original facing, judging by the table. The mouthpiece came new with a nice polish on it so what you're seeing is basically a new 50 year-old Berg Larsen.
That's also a very pretty Super even re-lacquered! I bet its a great combination. I think most experienced players would blow a #3 or #3.5 on a .100 so you're not too far off with the RR #2.5 which can run a little harder than expected. Yes, bari takes more air for sure so it will be good conditioning for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
On a side note, that is a beautiful looking Baritone.
Years ago I played one of these for a few weeks on loan from a friend and it was an awesome horn.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Many thanks for the positive and helpful responses everyone!

Well said, Click - I'm certainly in the market for a decent protective case for the horn - any recommendations? Nunu has taken possession of the bag so no way am I allowed to use it anyway

This horn does blow very well, looks amazing, and as a bonus I'm getting a a good lung workout too as I haven't owned or blown a bari for 45 years... I'm looking forward to playing it in my Ska band as soon as they replace their sacked bass-player that I'm filling in for, and let me return to the horn section - can't come soon enough, you know the general opinion out there regarding bass players...

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I've always gotten on pretty well with most of the bass players I've played with. A few of them, like yourself, play or played sax at one time. It's the trumpet players who all seem to show up at the gig first and plant their horn and stand in the middle of the stage like they are colonizing an island and then expect everybody else in the band (with all the big heavy gear) to work around them.

Is that picture in your avatar the face Nunu makes when it's time to put the bari back in the bag or is that just the standard "I'm not amused face ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' clarinet
7,459 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,443 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's Nunu's standard "This is my house and you're lucky to be allowed to stay here!" face. There is no chance of him relinquishing that gig bag in the near future, so I'd better crack on and get something square, rugged and preferably with wheels for the bari, although this might still happen if I do... (it was my new Hiscox tenor case as soon as it was unpacked)

Nunu_Hiscox.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts